Advice Needed - Brick Course doesn't line up - pic included

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi forum users. I need some advice.

I'm in the process of getting a conservatory built, but with a lot more brickwork than normal. A cross between a conservatory and an orangery.

I noticed (after the builders had gone home for the day) where the 3/4 conservatory wall meets the house wall, that the bricks courses don't line up with the existing house brick courses towards the top, but they don't do this on the other side. I've attached a pic for reference.

Question is, should this be like this? Would this suggst the house is not level (??)

Builders Reply:

"it's because gable end has to be 2025 and the house courses are a little out on one side but my level has to be the same height all the way around"

Does this seem correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Sounds like he is trying to say the courses on the house aren't level - as you suggest, but that doesn't explain why the first courses of the extension align with the house - just looks like a bit of a bodge job to me.

Tom

Sounds like he is trying to say the courses on the house aren't level - as you suggest, but that doesn't explain why the first courses of the extension align with the house - just looks like a bit of a bodge job to me.

Tom

Perhaps the lower courses on the house are level, just that the ones higher up on one side are slightly off?

Maybe, but that would mean one side of the house is either taller than the other or has more course..?!

Can you take some measurements?

Tom

Sponsored Links
Maybe, but that would mean one side of the house is either taller than the other or has more course..?!

Tom

Where should i take the measurements from? first course up to x number of bricks and check that against the other side?

The new brickwork needs to be level. If it's level, it means that the brickwork on your house is about an inch out at that point.
You often find on site that a corner can be a bit high or low at some points in the build. You often had a bricklayer on each corner on price work with one storey rod between them, so there were a few differences.
Your bricklayer needs to get his work right.

Better that the new brickwork is level so the conservatory fits properly than being wonky. An accurate level would be required to check which of the two is out but my money is on the house being wonky.

Tom

Where should i take the measurements from? first course up to x number of bricks and check that against the other side?

First thing to do is measure his work. Is the extension the same height on both sides?

Tom

Tom

First thing to do is measure his work. Is the extension the same height on both sides?
Tom

I don't know yet, and I won't be able to tell as the other side hasn't been built up to the same height yet. They're due to finish up tomorrow. That is, finish up the remaining brick and block work and sort out the concrete floor etc.

Measuring the brickwork may not prove it's level. The brickwork at DPC can easily be an inch out of level. Bricklayers working to the datum peg will often knock it down to match their corner if it's out.
A water level, or long straight edge and level will tell you if the top course lines up.

Measuring the brickwork may not prove it's level. The brickwork at DPC can easily be an inch out of level. Bricklayers working to the datum peg will often knock it down to match their corner if it's out.
A water level, or long straight edge and level will tell you if the top course lines up.

are we talking about the level of the house courses?

I was thinking of measuring from the first red brick on the house up to a brick on the house where the new brick work finishes. I'll count the bricks and do the same on the other side (as so far the new courses on the other side line up with the house courses). Then see if the measurements are the same, or not :(
Does that make sense?
I'll also aim to get a loan of a spirit level big enough and try that too.

are we talking about the level of the house courses?

Yes, the level could be wrong at the house at DPC.

The only way is to check if the courses on the new work are level. That's all that matters.

Tom

Tom

I don't know yet, and I won't be able to tell as the other side hasn't been built up to the same height yet. They're due to finish up tomorrow. That is, finish up the remaining brick and block work and sort out the concrete floor etc.

Measure, as best you can - so if the low side is 15 courses, measure and compare 15 courses. Is his work even both sides?

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back