advice needed for newby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys. new to the forum and hope you guys in the section can help and i will repay in the car section where i can offer my expertise.
we just bought our first house last week.
to the side of the house is a 2m wide pathway/area that goes along the boundary/fence of next door
the house is approx 5m long
i want to build a wooden out building/shed in this area, but due to the small amount of room i want to attach it to the side of the house.
im aware of the permitted development rules, and as its next to the boundary the max height etc, which it will comply with.
my question is, because it is rather small, at approx 10m squared, does it have to meet building reg standards ? looking at the out building section it only has to meet the standards if its 15-30m2 and within 1m from boundary. but only if its detached from the house, which it wont be
i plan to make it out of treated timber to help keep costs down.
it will have two entrances at either end and no access from inside the house
look forward to your help. regards Rick

Sponsored Links
Technically once you attach it to the house then Building Control approval is probably required however I know most of the BC departments (that I deal with) are pragmatic with respect to this and will take the view that as its a lightweight timber structure there are few risks so will not be interested. However whilst its only 10m² as it's on the boundary (and attached) then Building Control may take a different view with respect to its fire resistance and whether they think you should be getting approval or not. If it were me I would just get on and build it and not bother with seeing if BC were interested or not, the worst they will ever do is write you some snotty letters. Though others may disagree with that approach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back