Advice needed for single story rear extension with angled rear wall

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping to do a rear extension on my home. My idea is to extend out the back in line with the house, with the left wall going out about 4.5 metres and the right wall will go out about 6.5 metres and be connected to the garage.

The garage side door will then be accessed through the rear extension. The rear wall will be angled - the reason is its a north facing garden, and this will allow a little evening sun to catch the windows while also not eating so much into the garden space.

I cannot find anything similar to this online, which makes me wonder if such a design is either less likely to receive planning approval, or if it would be more expensive to build.

I would consider a high flat roof (say 2.5m instead of the 2.25m which we have in the house) although I think a sloped roof to smaller flat roof in the central area would be better for light, as I could pop some velux in.

Attached is a rough sketch based on a planning drawing for a more standard extension for the property.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Rear extension idea 2.png
    Rear extension idea 2.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,299
Sponsored Links
It's not common because not many people will have need for an angled extension like that. It's got nothing to do with less likely to get planning approval which it will not, or expense to build - which it is not.

Non square walls are less preferred internally, so tend to be a last resort or where it is part of a specific design.

Great to hear. I was partly inspired by a new build I saw in the area - a totally different room (thin kitchen) but at an angle.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back