Rear extension query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to do a rear extension. My garden lever is 1ft higher than my house floor level as, I am on a bit of slope on road.

What do pro's normally do when the rear wall of the extension sits next to soil level. Do they leave a little space with a french drain or set it back a bit with a roof overhang to protect the walls.

What about the bottom of walls. Does it gets rendered and forms a plinth like early 1900 properties.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the site conditions, how much space you have and what is proposed outside, do you need to have a door access out through the wall etc. Sometimes you would build it as a retaining wall, sometimes the ground can be cut and banked, or a path around the house and then a retaining wall to retain the existing bank. It varies.

If it’s built as a retaining wall it would be tanked.

Don’t understand your reference to a roof overhang to protect the walls bit.

Thanks. No door access on that wall. Just a window to see the garden(while i do the dishes and mrs watches tv)😤. There is a retaining wall holding the soil.

My worry is that there will be a little alleway between the retaining wall,and the new extension wall. Wont water collection be an issue in heavy rain. Would incorporating a acco drain be advisable.

What would be a best way to tank a wall. 3:1 sand cement or liquid ones. Ignore roof overhang. Dont know why I typed that. 😨

So what level will the ground level be immediately behind your extension then? I thought it would be a foot above internal floor level?

where is the retaining wall at the moment?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
I have permission for 3 metre rear extension. The internal floor level will be a foot lower than the soil level if doing full 3 metre. If doing maybe 2.6-7 metre then a little gap remains.

At present just a half skin brick wall holding soil and the patio.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back