Advice needed on building strong floating shelf on a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello experts

'Somebody' in my house thought this floating shelf with a clothes rail underneath would be a great idea in our bedroom. I agree totally of course, but as I'm the one with a shed full of tools (that I'm not an expert with) I now have to make it happen.

Please can anyone offer advice on these specifics:

* Materials and design for a DIY floating shelf like the one in the picture
* Appropriate fixings for the weight it's going to take - it's going on a stud wall but I do at least know where all the studs are as I had the foresight to mark them on the skirting before the wall was painted
* Fixings for the rail - presumably there would need to be a beefed up bit of timber on the shelf's internals to get a good fix
* Where on earth to buy a rail like that...?

The shelf doesn't need to be that long. If 800mm (or whatever) is advisable due to strength/sagging concerns I can just make more than one.

Also, if I really have to, I could add a couple of brackets if the floating idea is unworkable. I know it's been done in this interior designer's picture but there are only a few toddler garments on there...

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
Thanks,
JJ

FloatingShelfWithRail.jpg

Sponsored Links
Stud wall not ideal as overloading could damage the wall. But mdf would be easiest to get a good paint finish on.
Rail is very easy just standard wardrobe fixings or even a towel rail or shower riser.

Is it going in alcove, easier to get a stronger fixing if you can mount between walls.

Hi - not in an alcove unfortunately. That would make things much easier.

Sponsored Links
So my idea of drilling right through the wall and passing a long coach bolt through is not going to work then!

If it were brick I'd suggest threaded rod and resin. Some variation on that might work into the studwork.

Or cut a vertical slot in the plasterboard to expose a length of the stud, screw an L-shaped bracket into the stud, and cover it over with filler.

I'll look into rod/resin on timber. Obviously this isn't as simple as I was hoping for!

It’s not that hard to do but my approach would, as has been touched upon in this thread already would be to locate the studs and (assuming they are substantial enough and the position of any available studs relative to the desired shelf position are compatible) dig out a vertical strip of plasterboard back to the studs and use some brackets such as these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Du...vailable-in-Galvanised-or-Black-/291909518289 then fit some battens as necessary and encase the lot with some 6mm mdf or similar, fill and paint as per piccies below. Done properly it would work just fine and look good.

3154835413_1380932018.jpg

3154835412_1380932018.jpg

3154835411_1380932018.jpg

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Or just fit a couple of these and save yourself a ton of hassle though the position of the studs issue is still relevant.

m05-cFPpBX1FqdFWIFzwL4A.jpg

Thanks for the really helpful idea and pics (that kitchen solution looks great btw. V nice work.) Presumably they're rather strong as you're trusting them with plates etc.
I don't mind a few weekends of hassle if the end result is as intended. There may be easier ways round it (floor standing rails, visible brackets and so on) but I like a challenge :)

Provided the brackets are meaty enough and the stud positions works out OK there's no reason it would not work, not my kitchen BTW just cribbed off Google.

Ah ok - you've got better google searching skills than me then, I hadn't come across that example when looking. (Whoever it belongs to, it's helpful!)
Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back