Advice needed on current building work (garage conversion)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just wondered if someone could give me some advice as to whether I am being unreasonable with the following situation. We are having our garage converted which runs alongside our kitchen and dining room (walls have been knocked down in both kitchen and dining room to create a larger open plan footprint). The work was expected to take up to 4 weeks. However, by week 10 we were told that building control wouldn’t sign off the work and we had to either close off the stairway or install a sprinkler system. Builder obtained quotes for us for sprinkler system but it worked out too expensive so they worked with BC to decide what would need to be done to get it signed off and the extra will cost us £750. Work has progressed again and we are into week 12.

The garage wall is up against earth (neighbours garden), and I made it completely clear at the time they gave us the quote that I wanted the wall tanked. Their paperwork states outside garage wall to primed then lined with self-adhesive dpm and insulated with 50mm celotex and plaster boarded, 150mm Rock wool to ceilings. They never used this. They painted on a black damp proof (paint?) and used polystyrene backed plasterboards which were about 10mm thick. They never used insulation in the ceilings, just left what was already there. I raised this with them and they said that BC said that was all that was needed to be done to the wall (they followed their instruction), and the insulation in the ceiling was sufficient so they left it there (they would have replaced like with like). As I pointed this out, they said I wouldn’t get charged for a new window in the kitchen I asked for after receiving the quote. Wasn’t entirely happy as I made it clear on a number of occasions that I wanted the dpm on the wall. Builder said they would give us a separate 10 year guarantee for this wall.

The issue we have now is they have bricked up the garage door section and installed a window, but above the window they said they’d use a catnic lintel (but haven't) of which we’d assumed they’d brick and then board and plaster over. They have only covered this section with a wooden frame and plaster boarded the inside and plastered over. The original wooden white strip that was above the garage door remains along with a new wooden baton running directly across the top of the window. It is barely 80mm thick and if we put up a curtain pole, there is nothing solid to drill into. The guy I deal with isn’t on site and he said he’d look into it and address it with the other one who is on site. But I have a suspicion they will tell us it is done within regulations. I can only imagine we will suffer with damp/condensation if it’s left like this, and we still have the issue of putting up curtains. I need some advice and don’t know where to get it from. Is this acceptable?

The floating floor went down yesterday. Originally we were going to have underfloor heating but the concrete floor in the garage couldn’t be taken up to do this, I forget why now. Original quote for this said they’d use 50mm celotex. Should this apply to a floating floor? I am sceptical that this has been used (no evidence in skip), should I take up one panel and check?

I feel completely flattened by this whole situation. I wanted the conversion done to improve our situation at home and I feel all these issues are creating one major problem I’ll have to deal with further down the line.

Sorry this is so long, any comments or advice would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi Newboy

Thanks for responding. We didn't get a schedule (e.g. dates when things would be completed by), just a list of jobs they would do and what they'd use to do it. Although it is dragging (8 weeks over what they verbally said it would take), if we were getting everything they had said i wouldn't be so miffed. The main worry is this section above the new window which replaced the garage door. The bottom is bricked as expected, but the top is just a wooden frame which has been boarded and plastered over. The outside is the original thin white board that was above the garage door and an additional batten of wood. It stated they'd use a catnic lintel for this which they haven't. Is what they have done standard practice? I just imagine this will get very cold and even damp, and there is nothing solid here to put up a curtain pole etc.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back