Advice needed replacing an old Powermax 155

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to replace an old Powermax 155 gas boiler. Due to where it's positioned in my house and the changes to the flue regulations I'm looking at electric options, however I'm really struggling to work out exactly what I need.

My place is 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms + 1 toilet. 9 radiators + 3 bathroom radiators.

My mains flow rate is 12l/minute.

I've been looking at the Electromax/Comet/Megaflo systems but the units themselves are pretty pricy. Am I better going for something like a Potterton gold 9kW with a separate cylinder?

What's the best option to keep my running costs down? I'm planning on switching my power meter and plan to an Economy 7 so I can heat the cylinder overnight and use that for hot water / central heating during the day.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
What's the best option to keep my running costs down?
Not using electric when a gas supply is available would be a start! Switching to electric will be incredibly expensive to run. We look after a few houses with such an arrangement, requiring large stores of hot water for the heating, and hot water, heated with 18KW worth of immersion heaters overnight.

Economy 7 isn't all it's cracked up to be. The old man has one and the benefit today isn't massive. Gas is where it's at.

Sponsored Links
electric heating is extremely expensive to run, stick with gas get a few quotes from experienced engineers , quite a few options with flexible fluing arrangements

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back