Advice needed - replacing halogen MR16s with LED versions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've started dabbling in LED bulbs to save a few quid on the leccy. I've got hold of 3x 3.5watt 12v MR16s and wanted to replace the halogens I've got in the kitchen.

I replaced one and checked the brightness, wasn't great but it will do. I put in another, still ok. Put in the final one, and all three went dim.

I was scratching my head for a while, then looked at the text on the fitting - it states wattage as '50 - 150W'. So I'm guessing my new lights aren't drawing enough current for the transformer to kick in properly?

I was hoping there was a way around this problem so I don't have to go out and buy a new light fitting! I could stick a power resistor across the power rails to increase the load, but obviously this would defeat the object of energy saving!

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back