Advice needed - Tiles leaking water in to room below.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Id did put this in the building section but I now realise that was the wrong section, so here goes again.

I have a problem, the tiles in the bathroom next to the shower/bath have come away and the water from the shower has started leaking down the wall, soaking the plaster. The water is now coming down the wall into the room below.

So basically I haven't a clue where to start here, and I don't know if a builder can or would take on the job? I assume that we'd need to rip the bath out and the tiles off and strip the affected plaster away in both rooms affected. And then replace the floor and joists if need be.

Now has anyone ever had this problem or seen this problem before? Was it easy to rectify? How much did it cost?
Also at the same time we are wanting a new bathroom suite put in too, aswell as a new shower cubicle to replace the bath. So thats even more added expense I suppose.

Thanks

Craig

Sponsored Links
First thing you need to do is stop the shower from leaking, so is it the shower that has a leak or has the seals or grout failed on the shower tray/bath?
If it's the shower where is the leak? hose, valve, shower head, pipe work?

Hi All,

Id did put this in the building section but I now realise that was the wrong section, so here goes again.

I have a problem, the tiles in the bathroom next to the shower/bath have come away and the water from the shower has started leaking down the wall, soaking the plaster. The water is now coming down the wall into the room below.

So basically I haven't a clue where to start here, and I don't know if a builder can or would take on the job? I assume that we'd need to rip the bath out and the tiles off and strip the affected plaster away in both rooms affected. And then replace the floor and joists if need be.

Now has anyone ever had this problem or seen this problem before? Was it easy to rectify? How much did it cost?
Also at the same time we are wanting a new bathroom suite put in too, aswell as a new shower cubicle to replace the bath. So thats even more added expense I suppose.

Thanks

Craig
#

if you are changing the suite, you would be best off taking the suite out, strip the tiles and adhesive off the wall, ( what type of wall is it, board, block and plaster?? )

Get the wall dried out, unless its plasterboard, if thats the case get it ripped out and replaced, then re-tile, the fit new suite.

Cant see you having to replace the joists at all, are you tiling the floor?, if so rip the boards up and replace with either 22 or 25mm WBP ply, a good flexi addy and flexi grout

A good tile fixer should be able to do that work for you no problems, sorry i cant give a price as you have not given sizes, type of new tile etc, but the whole job is not hard whatsoever

Sponsored Links
Hi,

For the above info, its plaster behind the tiles and its all sodden and wet,
Would it be possible to strip the plaster off still being wet and then let it dry out? As I think I'd feel better if the whole of the plaster was taken back to brick and done properly and sealed correctly.

Thanks

Craig

I would remove the tiles first, see what damaged is done whilst doing this, the plaster does not form a seal, just gives you a surface to decorate or apply tiles to.
So if the plaster is not damaged, I would let it dry first and see what you have got. The key to the wall may still be good and save yourself a job.

OK.

I have however had a peek at the tiles behind and the plaster looks to be all sandy and rotten and flaking away.

I think this all stems from the late 90s when we had a leak in a pipe and the bathroom floor was replaced and they took the bath out at the time and disturbed the tiles and this has caused the grout to fail over time.

OK.

I have however had a peek at the tiles behind and the plaster looks to be all sandy and rotten and flaking away.

I think this all stems from the late 90s when we had a leak in a pipe and the bathroom floor was replaced and they took the bath out at the time and disturbed the tiles and this has caused the grout to fail over time.

Strip the old plaster off mate, whats behind the plaster, brick, blockwork ?, if so theres no need to re-plaster just tile straight onto the subtrate.

sorry, just re-read your reply, its brick behind the plaster, get the plaster off and fix your tiles with a good brand powdered adhesive, if you are that worried about water ingression again tank the area,

suimples..................................

If the plaster basecoat has gone, it will be wise to remove it all, as it is starting to fail and will not carry the weight of the tiles.
There is a chance this is the reason behind your tiles falling off now.

Great thanks for the help! :)

Just got to get someone in to do it now as I don't feel confident in doing it myself.
Also behind the plaster is brickwork, so what are my options on this? The house is a 1950s brick built semi to give you an idea of its construction.

Great thanks for the help! :)

Just got to get someone in to do it now as I don't feel confident in doing it myself.
Also behind the plaster is brickwork, so what are my options on this? The house is a 1950s brick built semi to give you an idea of its construction.

Check the condition of the brickwork, if its ok then feel free to get your tiler to start tiling away, no need to plaster it, or you could if you want, fix plasterboard to the brickwork then tile straight onto the plasterboard, no skimming neccesary

If it's the area where the shower is I would go with aqua panel rather than your standard plasterboard.
If your considering going down that route.
Must admit, I would basecoat and finish though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back