Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a conservatory built last year but didn't remove the old patio doors till a short while ago. Can anyone tell me the best way to plaster in the recess after removing the doors.
First pic is the RSJ above the old doors and second pic is the wall where it meets the 'ceiling', or rather where the RSJ is. Thought about a bag of bonding followed by a skim of board finish, how does this sound?

Plaster depth on side wall is about 10mm.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
go on nose, please educate me, are you saying you need a door up? as i am thinking of doing away with my door.in the exact situation.

Iv'e no-one who needs to check mine :oops:

Dot and dab over the opening and bead it and skim it. Might be worth painting the old rsj with red-oxide first...

Sponsored Links
Roy,
by dot& dab do you mean fill in with plasterboard first and then a light skim. Thanks.

Noseall,
whats it got to do with building regs?
Do I need to inform the council? its my own house and everything was done to regulations regarding the conservatory, we just couldn't afford to have the old doors taken out at the same time so I did it myself a short while ago. Before starting though I got the builder back to check that everything was supported correctly.

Under most circumstances, as long as a conservatory meets specified requirements it’s classed as a temporary structure & doesn’t need to conform to BR’s (except electrics & glass). One of those requirements is that it must be separated from the main dwelling by externally (insulation) rated door(s). Many remove the doors once the nosey BI’s have left (if they were ever there in the first place) to make it an open area but in doing so, you make the con’s a part of the main dwelling & so it no longer has temporary structure status; it then has to conform to BR’s on all sorts of things which it won’t have a hope in hell of doing. It will almost certainly get picked up when you come to sell as surveyors reports seem to be picking up on where properties may have had work done which does not comply with BR's. (probably due to HIPS), the onus is then on you to prove it does, not the other way around; no paperwork can mean no sale as the lender will not advance your buyer without the all clear from their solicitor.

As nose all says, you may also regret it in winter as a con’s of any size will get bloody cold in winter & your heating bill will go through the roof.

Re the steel beam, dot & dab PB & then skim as Roy suggests.

Thanks for the info guys.

Doors were removed because you had to step over a 2 brick high obstacle and we have 2 small grand cildren. The intention is to eventually fit new doors which will be pretty flush with the floor like most others we've seen.
Will see how temperature is during this winter and if necessary put heavy curtains up as a temporary measure. Not worried about selling as we intend staying till they carry us out in a wooden box! :LOL:

Once again, thanks guys. Sorry to have taken so long to reply, been very busy at work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back