advice on 3.6 kw kiln

If you don't want an RCD, then it is possible.

The kiln would be permanently wired to an isolator switch, and the cable for the circuit from the consumer unit will have to be installed using a method which does not require an RCD.
That also avoids the use of an interlocked 16A socket & plug, which will be far more expensive than a fixed wiring connection.

Had 2 guys come around and that was his solution ie isolator switch and hard wired into that (option 1)

The other guy suggested fitting some device to the consumer board. Some type of box with an isolator and running from that. This second option was more expensive.

I assume option 1 is just as safe

Sponsored Links
Installed properly it will be safe.

There are usually several different options available. Impossible to know what 'some device' is, so you will need to ask whoever suggested it.

A third cheaper option has also been suggested. Running a spur from an existing double socket which is in the studio and fitting a double pole switch provided the circuit will take it. Sparky said he would need to check the circuit to check the kiln would not over load it. Is that viable

Sponsored Links
I really am confused now. The electrian who visited me has lots of feedback on a number of trade sites. However he says that job is not notifiable. He will issue the appropriate EIC certificate. In reality and in the real world does it matter.

If that's the "electrician" who suggested putting your kiln on a spur, then I wouldn't employ him to change a light bulb, however much feedback his friends have posted.

However he says that job is not notifiable.
The spur he was suggesting, being merely an extension to an existing circuit, would not be notifiable. However, as you have been told, it is not only 'not notifiable', but it is also 'not allowed or acceptable' for a load the size you are talking about!

Kind Regards, John

Which could be why he is looking for non-notifiable ways to do things.

Kick him into touch. Not for being unregistered, but for being cr@p.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back