Running a kiln at home..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks my girlfriend is getting a kiln with the maximum rated amp at 22A with maximum output of 5KW.

I wanted to ensure that the parts below are all that should be required to connect and meet current standards;

25 meters of 6MM twin+earth cable (over kill but better it be thicker than under?)
1xIP44 angled wall socket (32A 200-250V)
1xIP44 Interlocked straight plug (32A 200-250V)
1xSentry 32A Type B MCB (currently the board is rated at 64A but we have two slots in it with MCB's that are no longer being used)
1xIP65 Isolator switch (again 32A)

Do I need anything else to meet current standards?

(p.s I wont be doing the install a friend will who works for BOC but I wanted to get all the equipment bought ready for him)

Cheers!
Adam.

Sponsored Links
Best to ask your friend then. This is notifiable work and he will be certifying that he has
DESIGNED, INSTALLED AND TESTED the new circuit before notifying the local authority.

The selection of cable has many things to consider. Yes, 6mm cable will carry 22amps, but over 25metres, I'm not so sure as you have to consider VOLT DROP.

And 25metres seems an awfully long run if it is indoors. Where will ten kiln be situated?
\

Oh yes. Those spare slots in your consumer unit. Are they RCD protected?

Yes there is a 63amp RCD in the unit. It will not be 25M in length it'll be about 10 max but I was going to order a little extra cable. The kiln will be situated in the garage connected to the house.

Thanks I'll ask if he's certified to design, install and test the circuit :)

Do I need anything else to meet current standards?
Some of the other items which must be considered:

The location of the socket and switches in relation to the kiln, and whether they are suitable for the high temperatures to which they will be exposed.
Is it the correct type of isolator
Is T&E cable suitable for use in areas which will have a high ambient temperature. (The answer is no).
Whether or not this garage is suitable to have a substantial heating load placed in it. What it is constructed of, what else is in there, the size of it, what else it will be used for will all be relevant. This includes things such as suitable lighting.
You have a plug and socket - but no cable or flex for the kiln. Perhaps it is supplied with some. Or not.
Is it appropriate or safe to connect the new circuit to the existing consumer unit.
Is an RCD required for this circuit. If so, is using the one already in the consumer unit the best option.
If this is for a business use, metering is likely to be required. Even if not, it would certainly be a desirable thing to have.

As for the items already selected - having cable which is too large may cause problems when you find the conductors don't fit into the terminals in the socket or switch. Or the cable is too bulky to physically fit into the space available.
Why would anyone buy 25m of cable when only 10m is needed?
If the existing CU really is rated to 64A, that is not only a most unusual value, it is likely to also mean that it could be overloaded once the new kiln circuit is added.
Was a Type B MCB chosen for a particular reason?
The other MCBs or devices adjacent to it could be significant in this application.

Sponsored Links
Thanks I'll ask if he's certified to design, install and test the circuit :)

It's not that simple, I'm afraid. Regardless of what qualifications he holds, unless he is a member of a Part P Competent Persons Scheme (which he won't be unless he does domestic installation work himself - I doubt BOC are members of such a scheme), he will not be able to certify compliance with the Building Regulations. This is different from completing the Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) required by the wiring regulations, which he will be able to do, assuming he is a competent electrician.

This means he/you will have to apply for Building Regs approval to your local authority before work starts, and agree how the BR compliance is to be achieved. Now, it MAY be that your LABC, on seeing evidence of your mate's qualifications, will accept his EIC and then issue the BR completion certificate. On the other hand, if your LA is anything like mine, they will insist on appointing their own inspector to inspect and test the work - at your expense, of course. In that case it is likely to be cheaper and simpler to go to a registered electrician at the outset rather that get your friend to do the work.

You need to check with your LA before you do anything - including buying the equipment, as if you end up using a registered electrician he may well be able to get the kit cheaper than you can.

It's not that simple, I'm afraid. Regardless of what qualifications he holds, unless he is a member of a Part P Competent Persons Scheme (which he won't be unless he does domestic installation work himself - I doubt BOC are members of such a scheme),

And even if they are, it won't cover 'homers' done by members of their staff.

It's not that simple, I'm afraid. Regardless of what qualifications he holds, unless he is a member of a Part P Competent Persons Scheme (which he won't be unless he does domestic installation work himself - I doubt BOC are members of such a scheme),

And even if they are, it won't cover 'homers' done by members of their staff.

True.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help folks.

I've arranged a few electricians to come out as my friend isn't qualified to do the job!

Cant have it being done wrong especially as we've a dog and I wouldn't like him turned to crisp whilst we're at work one day :(

Can anyone recommend any electricians in Northern Ireland near Newtownabbey in case the ones coming out are no good?

Best to ask your friend then. This is notifiable work and he will be certifying that he has
DESIGNED, INSTALLED AND TESTED the new circuit before notifying the local authority.
It's not that simple, I'm afraid. Regardless of what qualifications he holds, unless he is a member of a Part P Competent Persons Scheme (which he won't be unless he does domestic installation work himself - I doubt BOC are members of such a scheme), he will not be able to certify compliance with the Building Regulations. This is different from completing the Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) required by the wiring regulations, which he will be able to do, assuming he is a competent electrician.

This means he/you will have to apply for Building Regs approval to your local authority before work starts, and agree how the BR compliance is to be achieved. Now, it MAY be that your LABC, on seeing evidence of your mate's qualifications, will accept his EIC and then issue the BR completion certificate. On the other hand, if your LA is anything like mine, they will insist on appointing their own inspector to inspect and test the work - at your expense, of course. In that case it is likely to be cheaper and simpler to go to a registered electrician at the outset rather that get your friend to do the work.

You need to check with your LA before you do anything - including buying the equipment, as if you end up using a registered electrician he may well be able to get the kit cheaper than you can.

R27ADam

uk.gif

United Kingdom

(he is making the point that not many of us are familiar with the regulations in NI. E&W are different from Scotland, and NI is presumably different again.)

The best way to find a good domestic electrician is usually to start by asking friends and neighbours for a local recommendation, but look at samples of their work as most householders will not be able to tell how good he is unless he makes glaring bodges; but also verify that they are members of a Competent Persons Scheme which means they are qualified to do the work.

Preferably not just a Domestic Installer as that is the lower level of qualification, and preferably not someone who has qualified in the last few months as some experience will be useful.

But I am not familiar with NI regulations, hopefully someone will be along who is. Your local authority website may have a useful advice page on building regulations and electrical work. Your job is comparable to running a new cooker circuit, but may need heat-resistant cabling near the machine, and it may need to be spaced away from combustible materials or need extra ventilation. The machine makers should specify it in the installation instructions.

verify that they are members of a Competent Persons Scheme which means they are qualified to do the work.
Actually, that's about the last thing that means, if you want someone truly qualified...

But I am not familiar with NI regulations, hopefully someone will be along who is.
In the context of this topic, there are no regulations in NI.

Which doesn't mean they know how to drive properly, or will ever find your destination.

but compared to somone with NO license, driving an UNlicenced cab, who doesn't meet the minimum requirements for cabbing and is therefore uninsured...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back