Advice on a block built garden gym

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
Just after opinions and advice on my spring project.

I want a gym in my garden, I intend to build it out of concrete block as cheaper than brick, easier to built and prefer it to timber.
I am fine regarding regs, less than 3m high, less than 2.5m at eaves not within 1m of boundary. I have a massive garden so total land coverage is fine etc.
So my questions are on the build.
The build will be roughly 20 x 12 feet give or take. My ground is very hard with my house foundations only being 450mm deep.
I plan for concrete foundations the foundation to be roughly 500 deep and 300 wide using 250 deep concrete, but this could change when I dig if the ground is softer in garden etc and also the fact that there is a very old established English oak tree within 3m of build.

I want to use single skin concrete block and a pitched standard tile roof this will be over a poured concrete floor using visqueen but no insulation as I'm on a budget and kingspan for that floor would cost £300.
As it is a gym I want it damp and water proof so plan is as follows, bearing in mind I'm on a budget:

Plan A
Single block concrete
Rendered outside with waterproof and lime mix finished with sealant and masonary paint
Dabbed plasterboard inside to brick and skimmed

Plan B
As above but liquid dpm painted to inside of block 25mm battens fastened to block to create air gap behind plasterboard

Plan C
As above but add 25mm polystyrene insulation plus 25mm air gap and use foil backed plasterboard.

Plan D
As plan A but double skin block with 100mm deep fill cavity dritherm.

Obviously they get more expensive so I don't really want plan D as more block, more building, more cost.

I am open to suggestion and opinions so please feel free to guide.
I have not done a build project myself but I am very capable and know what I am doing in most aspects.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thanks,
I suspected as much just needed confirmation to stop me being tight.
I'll save a little longer :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back