Advice on architect fees and finding the right one

It needn't be. Make floor plans of what you'd like the extension to be. Everything you want in there. Arrange a meeting with the plan drawer, having told him the outline and what you want from him/her. (Advice and adjustment to your floor plans, drawings for pp, construction and b regs; and external finishes in keeping with the street.) Meet, agree a price and a timescale. I wouldn't pay up front.

Sponsored Links
You can draw your own plans for the planning department - I did mine going through Planning Portal - and then just have somebody do technical / engineering plans.
Although with a good builder that is happy to work with building control, even this is not required always. For my single storey extension the only bit that needed engineer drawings was the roof, but a friendly local architect told me that if I got trusses delivered, these come with the calcs, so no need to pay for somebody to design something.

that can draw plans
Thats not the way to be thinking.

It's about designing not just drawing plans. Any monkey can draw plans, but not every monkey can design, and there is a massive difference.

Sponsored Links
Not that I am not competent to draw 'a' plan (having spent the last 2 yrs learning to use modelling softwares for 3d printing), I think it's best for me to leave it to the pros and learn as much as I can this 1st time around. I will have a better grasp of things on the next project.

I was going to call the agent who submitted the plans on the building portal for a house close to me. A name and company house search shows compulsory strike off so that's out of the question

Thats not the way to be thinking.

It's about designing not just drawing plans. Any monkey can draw plans, but not every monkey can design, and there is a massive difference.

Sorry, I meant design as well. This is actually very crucial because I need someone with experience and great ideas. My house is a new build (2000 I think) so unable to find similar houses on planning portal for inspiration.

The job of a plan drawer is to produce a scheme that satisfies planning policy and building regs. The job of an architect is to present you with what you never thought possible. Unfortunately, this costs money.

No doubt, this will be the final word on the matter.

You mentioned you've looked at local houses on the council planning site - their plans will usually have details of the architects / technical draftspersons on them - maybe just contact a few for quotes and see who you like.

So, I have narrowed down to 3 architects(or designers) on planning portal from recent builds close to me. Is there a way to search other jobs done by them on the planing portal ?

I don't think you can search for projects on the government's planning portal. Do you mean the local authority planning pages?

I suspect it depends on your local authority. Incidentally, I think this is almost futile as an exercise; I just tried it myself with a Local Planning Authority with which I regulary work - the results are so diverse that I doubt you could form a meaningful picture, other than to say 'this architect successfully obtained planning permission 60% of the time'. Better to look at the practice websites themselves - and far better to meet them in person (Covid rules permitting).

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back