Advice on bathroom leak fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We recently moved into a property that is about 3yrs old.

Ever since we have used the shower we have had a leak that is showing by the wetness on the carpet in the adjoining room.

Having called in a plumber they have advised the water is coming through a gap where the tap is installed. The advice to resolve was to tighten the tap fitting and to do that would mean cutting a hole in the wall to be able to access the tap to tighten.

This seems overkill to me and also could mean it could loosen again and we are back to the same problem (even more annoying if we cut and then fix the wall - which we would need to do!)

My solution would either be just to use a sealant around the tap or a 'stop leak sealer' product - (below is a temporary fix that seems to have done the job) - thoughts?

Bathroom (1).JPEG
Bathroom (2).JPEG

All advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Is the tap loose ,does it move ?
If the water is leaking through where the tap goes through the bath rim, and the tap isn't loose ,then a bead of silicone around the tap base circumferance may do the job.

Obviously not being able to see around the tap base then it's difficult to comment but looks like you have fallen victim to a poor installer that hasn't given any consideration to providing service access. Once the wall was cut then it would be advised to leave it and create a permanent access

Adding silicone to the area, once fully dried out may do the job but to be honest, if it's a constantly wet area and if there's any tap movement at all, it probably wouldn't last. That and is it definitely the tap? Has the front panel been taken off and everything else checked?

If the water is leaking through where the tap goes through the bath rim, and the tap isn't loose ,then a bead of silicone around the tap base circumferance may do the job.
Have just checked and it is very firmly in place and not loose. So on this basis it makes me think tightening the tap wont even work and it is just an oversight when the tap was fixed that it wasnt sealed correctly.
Think silicone around the base is the next step and fingers crossed thats all.

cheers!

Sponsored Links
Since fitting your makeshift solution, have you had no further issue ? How long a period of time in normal use did you allow before establishing success ??
I am not totally convinced the issue is what you have been told.

Obviously not being able to see around the tap base then it's difficult to comment but looks like you have fallen victim to a poor installer that hasn't given any consideration to providing service access. Once the wall was cut then it would be advised to leave it and create a permanent access

Adding silicone to the area, once fully dried out may do the job but to be honest, if it's a constantly wet area and if there's any tap movement at all, it probably wouldn't last. That and is it definitely the tap? Has the front panel been taken off and everything else checked?
Yes the plumber took the panel off and decreed that was the issue.
There is zero tap movement.

He showed me the water running along the pipes when he sprayed the water on to the tap base.
I then did a temporary fix - as per the photos - and sprayed it again and could not see the water on the pipes.

Since fitting your makeshift solution, have you had no further issue ? How long a period of time in normal use did you allow before establishing success ??
I am not totally convinced the issue is what you have been told.
I fitted the temporary solution yesterday - so it is too early to tell to see if the carpet is no longer wet... so yes it could be something else...

Plumber showed me the water running along the pipes when he sprayed the water on to the tap base.
after the temp fix i sprayed it again and could not see the water on the pipes.... so thats a good thing....

Ok, use a hairdryer and get the whole section nice and hot so it dries properly. Then I'd use a clear silicone around the base, using a finger to press it in firmly to fill any gaps, don't be tempted to use too much.

Just going back to the sealant attempt - which i will try first-.... ive ordered:
-Unibond waterproof silicone sealant AND
Ok, use a hairdryer and get the whole section nice and hot so it dries properly. Then I'd use a clear silicone around the base, using a finger to press it in firmly to fill any gaps, don't be tempted to use too much.
Super - thanks will give that a go.

What's the other side of the wall? I'd be tempted to add an access hatch as at some point in time you will need to get to the tap, pipes and waste etc anyway.

Something "A4" sized like this fitted landscape which could be hidden behind a wardrobe/cupboard/bed/bookcase....

Ps. Unibond is overpriced consumer level. Better sealants are available for less.

Last edited:
What's the other side of the wall? I'd be tempted to add an access hatch as at some point in time you will need to get to the tap, pipes and waste etc anyway.

Something "A4" sized like this fitted landscape which could be hidden behind a wardrobe/cupboard/bed/bookcase....

Ps. Unibond is overpriced consumer level. Better sealants are available for less.
otherside of the wall is the wifes dressing room and an exercise bike adjacent to that wall.

reckon i'll dry up the wet patch, apply the sealant and see how it goes for a week or two.

thanks for tip on sealant.

I've had a few jobs where back of bath tap has failed or leaked, options for repair are bath out or access panel from back. It's expensive to fix a relatively inexpensive problem but when those type of taps are fitted with no thought to future access then that's the only options.

Back of bath taps and tiled in baths are a trend I never got, look good, nightmare to repair

I've had a few jobs where back of bath tap has failed or leaked, options for repair are bath out or access panel from back. It's expensive to fix a relatively inexpensive problem but when those type of taps are fitted with no thought to future access then that's the only options.

Back of bath taps and tiled in baths are a trend I never got, look good, nightmare to repair
agreed its a bit of an odd set up imo. when the funds allow will perhaps do a long lasting job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back