Advice on boiler ventilation - BG want £188 for vent !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had annual BG check for our hot air system. The BG chap said that the rules on ventilation have changed and we need to replace the air vent in the wall (other side of room from the boiler in our utility room). BG have quoted £188 to supply and install (push through the wall!) a vent kit F05371 (Pack 234 AV8) - can anybody please advise on where I can get one of these kits as £188 seems a lot of money and I am sure I can install this myself.

BG say new rules state there has to be open vents inside and out and that they have to be connected via a flu. The problem with our current vent is that there is no flu connecting the inside and outside plates - and there is an insect grill on the inside plate.

Many thanks for any advice on where I can source an appropriate part.

Sponsored Links
Get yer hammer 'n chisel out and DIY it! Plumbers merchants for vent kit.
Have fun!

the "rules" haven't changed, merely been reclassified. you vents have most likely been wrong since the day the boiler was installed.

if you do the vent yourself remember to do a flue flow and spillage test afterwards.

flu flow and spillage test - is this necessary - BG have checked the system today and just want the air vent changed that goes through the outisde wall to provide ventillation to the room that contains the boiler. Thanks for all assistance.

Sponsored Links
flu flow and spillage test - is this necessary - BG have checked the system today and just want the air vent changed that goes through the outisde wall to provide ventillation to the room that contains the boiler. Thanks for all assistance.

yes it is necessary. even if you are changing the ventilation for the better it still needs to be tested so you can be sure it hasnt adversely affected the flue pull. messing with open flued boilers and their requirements isnt really a DIY job for a reason.

Couple hours labour, vent kit, and checking everything is ok afterward.

Sounds ok to me.

They may be blocking up old vent a boaring a new one as often its easier to do this rather than muck about trying to get a round peg in a square hole.

You are paying for experts to make sure YOU ARE SAFE, but as someone says on here,

pay peanuts, expect monkeys.

Speaking as past victim of carbon monoxide poisoning in a house based workplace where the ventilation for the boiler was blocked by blown snow resulting in two of us enjoying a free ride in a blue light ambulance and the mother of all headaches. We were unaware that it was happening as your power of reasoning is impaired as you become intoxicated but fortunately for us someone came though and found us and opened the doors and assisted us out to lie in the snow until the ambulance arrived. This is something you must get right. I've never worked or lived where there is an open boiler (changed the one in my current house as soon as we bought it). If I had to, I would have a mains powered carbon monoxide alarm plugged in at all times.

Thanks for all advice. I am not trying to cut corners and do appreciate the value of professionals. All they need to do is put a new vent through the existing hole - no need to make hole bigger or anything. Even the BG engineer said it would be cheaper to get it done myself. BUT AS EVERYONE HAS SUGGESTED - BETTER TO USE PROFESSIONALS - SO £188 TO BG IT IS. Again, thanks for all advice.

do you have some sort of yearly contract with BG ?
do they regularly service/maintain your boiler ?
if so they have been incompetent on every visit.
the vents should never have been fitted with a fly screen & have always required to be sleeved through the cavity.
it is a requirement to check ventilation when attending to the boiler.

you would be entitled to create a large stink.
you may be supprised how much the price comes down.

do you have some sort of yearly contract with BG ?
do they regularly service/maintain your boiler ?
if so they have been incompetent on every visit.
the vents should never have been fitted with a fly screen & have always required to be sleeved through the cavity.
it is a requirement to check ventilation when attending to the boiler.

you would be entitled to create a large stink.
you may be supprised how much the price comes down.

that would only work if it was proved that an AR was missed. you might get away with it for the flyscreen but dont bother with the sleeve as its only NCS. even then its down to the discretion of the manager and you would probably only get the labour for free, which is ok as thats the expensive bit.

seeing as spacethegas has dived in with both feet allow me to do the same.

im guessing its been visited before and its been recorded as NCS for the vent defects from day one, even if were not told for 10 years ill bet its been recorded. as of 1st june the vent size has now jumped from NCS to AR for being undersize, the sleeve and the flyscreen have only now been pointed out to the customer. someone has been lazy or the OP hasnt told us the full story.

nickso - a point for discussion.

i don't have regs to hand & just what comes to mind.

if the cavity was not sleeved and the cavity was insulated with foam i would treat that as AR whether the foam had fallen behind the vent or not. if the vent had become blocked & boiler sooty its ID.

the point being it all depends upon the situation.

+ the customer should always be informed even if NCS & advised to bring up.

i know im going off point, things must of changed since i was at BG (20 yrs ago) the installation would not have been accepted on contract then unless it was all brought up to standard + xtras eg 22mm cf from makeup tank upgrade if necessary.i realize BG now have customers safety at heart...

if the cavity was not sleeved and the cavity was insulated with foam i would treat that as AR whether the foam had fallen behind the vent or not. if the vent had become blocked & boiler sooty its ID.

getting a little ahead of ourselves here arent we?

+ the customer should always be informed even if NCS & advised to bring up.

i agree but it doesnt always happen. it should get better with the new paperwork, if the customer doesnt produce the last NCS letter then you have to provide one. not foolproof but better.

i know im going off point, things must of changed since i was at BG (20 yrs ago) the installation would not have been accepted on contract then unless it was all brought up to standard + xtras eg 22mm cf from makeup tank upgrade if necessary.i realize BG now have customers safety at heart...

NCS doesnt matter for contract. as long as its not AR or ID its taken on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back