Boiler Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I've been reading posts on the forums for a while as a guest and found them interesting, useful and on occasions hilarious. Having just registered, I hope someone will respond to my query regarding my boiler.

It's a Halstead Finest Gold and I have a maintenance agreement for it with BG. Yesterday was my annual check and the engineer has categorized the boiler as "At Risk" for ventilation reasons. The boiler is in a ceiling height cupboard which according to the manufacturers instructions requires no additional ventilation, although there are small vents top and bottom anyway. On previous years inspections they have said that it is not to current standards. Have the rules changed and are they retrospective? When I challenged the engineer he was unable to answer this question and just mumbled something like "rules is rules" and quickly went on his way.

I would be grateful for your comments. Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the rules have changed.
But it doesn't apply to your situation, the chap didn't quite understand what has changed and how or why.
Just drill a few more holes to keep them happy.

They changed on 1st June 2008 for ventilation less than 90% of required. But this is for open flued.
Room sealed appliances in compartments with insufficient ventilation providing there is NO damage to surrounding surfaces is Not to Standard.
Unless stipulated by the manufacturer that cooling ventilation is not required... Some however require minumum clearences.

I'm fairly confident the AR is for the pressure relief valve termination though.. He had to be a right bint to AR it for the vents

Does your ceiling high cupboard extend all the way to the floor? If it does the MIs state that cooling ventilation is not required. (I just had a look)

Sponsored Links
davebgas said:
They changed on 1st June 2008 for ventilation less than 90% of required. But this is for open flued.
Room sealed appliances in compartments with insufficient ventilation providing there is NO damage to surrounding surfaces is Not to Standard.

ehh

open flued

room sealed

pass the bottle ;)

Thanks everyone. I'm not so worried now.

davebgas, he didn't mention the pressure relief valve. There is no damage and minimum clearances are ok.

sooey, yes it does extend to the floor.

from what I have heard, a faulty prv termination does not come under gsiup.

Nah its not mate, yet... its a BG thing....
Mind its one I tend to agree with... you know the ones, pointing straight at you head height.

he didn't mention the pressure relief valve. There is no damage and minimum clearances are ok.

And he said its for the ventilation???? Berk....
If the MI's say its ok mate, its ok.... what did he write on his safety advice notice out of interest?

from what I have heard, a faulty prv termination does not come under gsiup.

Nah its not mate, yet... its a BG thing....
Mind its one I tend to agree with... you know the ones, pointing straight at you head height.
I agree totally, especially big ones, if the burner just stays on on a 30 plus kw boiler, you will get a lot of very hot s h i t coming out of it at quite some speed; would not like to be in front of it when it happens.
Following a logic that escapes me, it is not part of the boiler apparently.

if its floor to ceilling then NO vents are req and it wouldnt be AR for no compartment vents anyway it would be ntcs.

On the paperwork does it say vents A.R?

dont go on what he told you as often the just batter away on the computer like a trained chimp and tell the customer f.a

I've just had a good look at the paperwork.

He has ticked a box saying the appliance is safe and operating correctly, yet he has ticked another box to say that the appliance ventilation is not safe. Isn't there a contradiction there?

The AR is definitely for the compartment vents.

One other thing, he has described my boiler as a Halstead Ace when it is actually a Halstead Finest Gold, is it the same thing by another name?

If its AR then he is expected to turn it of with your permission!

Has it been turned off?

If it does not need compartment ventilation then ask BG to send someone to come and explain why they have classified it as AR in relation to the manufacturer's instructions.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back