advice on buying a van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any advice ref. buying a new or used van? i'm thinking of 1. Sprinter 2. Transit.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dont know about new vans mate, but I personally prefer transits.

They're not full of fancy crap you don't need, doing the job is what it's about(for me).

My mates got a sprinter though, V reg (1999/2000). He got it with 100k on the
clock, it's now on 150k with nothing done to it, everbody borrows it. It's one
of the most reliable vans I've driven. I done a 1300 mile round trip with it, it
never missed a beat.

I suppose that everybody has their favourite motor, it might be a tougher
decision than you think!

Good Luck

Hammy

Spend as much as you can afford to get something that little bit better:

IMO, merc with miles is better than ford without. I mean, 100K is nothing to a modern vehicle these days is it?

I remember my b-in-law ditching an 86 sierra taxi after 500K, but it still went well....

Calling David & Julie............

In all fairness you have already narrowed your choice down to the best ones anyway. Either van would be a good choice for different reasons.

Sprinters will run for ever, have hard seats and a driving position which I don't like(personal thing). Whereas transits are very comfy with a much nicer driving position. With the later ones being FWD(most of them) they also have a lower floor and are therefore easier to load. The lower roof is also better if you use roofracks.

Both are mechanically very good and are unlikely to give much trouble.

It is very much which you prefer to drive really, have a go in both before you decide.

Sponsored Links
As if by magic, they appeared!

Can't say fairer than that!

thanks everybody for your replies.

Q1 do people in the trades prefer a high roof or a low roof?
Q2 advantages or disadvantages in H/R with a rear ladder?
Q3 has anyone bought an interior racked out system pre-installed?
Q4 any theft hints?

Q1 Depends what you have in mind. A roofer would prefer low roof, easier to reach and to tie on his ladders whereas a gardner say, may prefer a high top so he can stand up straight whilst moving his gear in and out. If in doubt get an high top, you don't have to use it.

Q2 You only need a rear ladder if you have a roof rack, again you know best. They do use extra fuel and cause a lot of wind noise though and are dodgy when frozen or wet.

Another take I have seen on the above was a high top with a false floor about 18" high inside the van. The guys fitted industrial doors and had triple section ladders under the floor. This saved them having a roof rack,
but they knew how high they were working and this wouldn't suit everyone.

Q3 & Q4 Have a look in YP or similar for van liners etc. They stock roofracks,security gear, towbars, vanvaults, racking etc. Deal direct and avoid the dealer mark-up, they will also discuss the latest kit with you.

Security of the van itself is less of an issue these days as they won't start without the keys. Keep these out of sight at home and on site. Consider mortice locks and take the key for these off the ring when your van is in for service or repair. Your tools are the biggest issue, don't broadcast them to all and sundry, keep your doors closed from prying eyes whenever possible. Your tools are your livelyhood never leave anything unattended if at all possible. Also avoid lending gear out on sites.

Yeah. When I prang my cars (a rare occurence, thankfully!) I get a high roof long wheelbase as a courtesy vehicle. I only run a family estate, but the hire firms will not allow roof racks to be used with their cars, so I insist on a van. The lwb means I can get my ladders inside. No climbing, no roof noise, no thefts. Excellent!

And the false floor is a bon idee too.

If I had a choice, I'd have the biggest Sprinter, but I do agree with D & J, having driven an 03 Transit (jumbo, NOT as a consequence of an RTA!!), they are more comfortable. I suppose being Ford, there are more dealers and they are easier & cheaper to get fixed when they go wrong.

Sprinters do seem to be faster than Transits. Whenever I drive on the motorway I AlWAYS see at least one Sprinter going about 90-95 during the journey. :eek:

Perhaps AMG should cash in on this, shoehorn in a 6 litre V12 perhaps :LOL: The Mercedes Sprinter, Linford Christie Special Edition.

thank you all for sharing your time and knowledge, i appreciate it.
What or who is YP?

--tom said:
What or who is YP?

If you had said "What is YI" I would have thought you were buying a new castle instead...

Wait for it...

*GROAN* :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back