Advice on finishing this bookcase

Someone mentioned caulking on another forum but Toupret wood filler has also been mentioned. It's actually for these type of joins:
upload_2020-12-18_14-8-40.png

upload_2020-12-18_14-8-8.png

upload_2020-12-18_14-7-29.png

Sponsored Links
I thought a finger-applied caulk or filler may nicely squeeze into the gap and improve the finish.

Sponsored Links
I cut all my MDF sections with a circular saw following a timber batten - clamped to the wood. I am guessing it may be 1-2mm out on some edges.

There is no problem using filler on the joints, screw holes and even the edges. Sand and dust before you prime. I have done this for many years in various shop fitting companies although we spray finished or laminated rather than painted.

On odd occasions where a customer wanted a colour we could not source, we would use foam rollers and sand before spraying on the polyurethane finish.

You could just roll PVA all over and throw glitter at it? It is Christmas after all

On the final layer, am I okay to use a solvent based satinwood even though I’ve used a water based primer?

I found the solvent based product to be longer lasting and the water based satinwood I used previously was forever “sticky”.

Can I please have your advice on this.

Should have added a current pic with my earlier post. Here’s where I am at. I’ve given it two coats of the primer and sanded in between.

Attachments

• 4922D213-1E9D-4B38-BD46-E50F3C2FD647.jpeg
    4922D213-1E9D-4B38-BD46-E50F3C2FD647.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 85
I’m really chuffed. Have to admit that I am getting into the habit of staring at it in admiration...
Not finished yet and there’s no way I could have done it without all the input I’ve had from this forum (a few posts that I’ve put out over the last few weeks). Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back