Magic Wire or Bookcase Strip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some advice regarding adjustable concealed shelf support systems.

I'm constructing a "pigeon hole" style bookcase using 18mm MDF, each shelf will be 450mm (W) x 325mm (D) and supported on either end. I've worked out that the approximate maximum distributed load for each shelf will be 40kg exc. the weight of the shelf itself.

I was thinking of using either Magic Wires or Bookcase Strip supports but was unsure as to whether they would be up to the job.

I've looked around for both but have found it very difficult to find any manufacturers recommendations with regards to the maximum loads these products can withstand.

If anyone has any advice on the most suitable system, I'd really appreciate it.

Also with regards to the magic wire system - would I simply route a slot out of the mdf self edge to receive the wire? and would 18mm MDF (-3mm for the wire) be enough considering the weight?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the bookcase strip supports, but we have those magic wires at work, yes they hold the shelf up, but if you do overload it they tend to pull out of the holes and make a REAL mess of the holes in which the sit, and all around them.

Personally i wouldn't TAKE money to use them! :evil:

Others may disagree though...

You may be pushing the magic wires with 40kg and you would be better off with 25mm MDF and set the grooves near the bottom. I made these shelves with magic wires which are about the same size as yours but I don't think the books weigh 40kg

The other supports are not hidded, you will see the strip that they fit into although it can be set flush into a groove and painted the same as teh MDF

Jason

Thanks Jasonb, I've weighed the books (all big reference books mainly) so the figure of 40kg is pretty accurate.

Ideally it would be hidden fixing but obviously it's more important that the bookcase works as a unit.

Do you have any experience of using bookcase strips? do you think they'd be up to the job?

Another option could be to go with a Shelf stud and Banjo Sleeve however I'm not keen on the look of them.

Sponsored Links
The bookcase strips will be plenty strong enough. I'm not keen on the look of the banjo ones but these look better, can be used with or without inserts and take a fair weight.

Jason

Leaving aside the support system you choose, take a look here and decide whether MDF is suitable for your application (you'll find it well down the list, after the natural timbers which are in alphabetical order).

Leaving aside the support system you choose, take a look here and decide whether MDF is suitable for your application (you'll find it well down the list, after the natural timbers which are in alphabetical order).

Be so kind and explain the logic in your statement.

Just made three bookcases for a customer with the shelf support strips routed in as Jason describes. Wouldn't worry about them being invisible you can as Jason says paint them to match the bookcase, but when the case is full of books there wont be much visible anyway

Thanks xerxes, I did check that out earlier and calculated the deflection to be 0.002" per foot for a 25mm shelf - so think I'm ok on that front.

Just made three bookcases for a customer with the shelf support strips routed in as Jason describes. Wouldn't worry about them being invisible you can as Jason says paint them to match the bookcase, but when the case is full of books there wont be much visible anyway

Thanks chappers, that's the way I'm going to go I think. Do you think a flat recessed strip like this will suffice or can you recommend another.

Thanks again.

Manufactures details regarding bookcase strip and studs etc. can be found hear

I use strip 7476 & stud 7475 in Alum – bronze plated code 47 1829 11 page 8

It's my personal opinion that painting of the strips looks 200% rubbish.

Don’t forget you can purchase direct from the manufacture and that will save you some money. Line your own pockets not the middle man when you can.

Be so kind and explain the logic in your statement.

My point was simply that MDF isn't very stiff material. When used for shelving it can sag under its own weight. I just wanted to clarify that Savvy was satisfied on this point.

Just as a side note, MDF can tend to de-laminate on the ends as the grooves to accept the hidden supports effectively reduce the thickness of the shelf by up to 50%

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back