Advice on how to drill 4" hole!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to drill a hole at least 4" dia in order to feed the hose on my tumble dryer throught my garage wall (brick) - Any advice on how I should do this & where I can hire/puchase a drill large enough for this job would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Any hire shop will have a drill & bit to hire, but it could be cheaper to get someone to do it for you. Most plumbers will have the kit required. Its just give them a drink.

Yeah, I think you may be right - I don't fancy seeing my husbands face if I 'mess' it up!

If you decide to do it yourself then make sure you use a clutched drill - if not it is VERY easy to do yourself some serious harm!

Sponsored Links
U R Joking!!!

My husband wouldn't even know what a drill looked like!

dena007 said:
U R Joking!!!

My husband wouldn't even know what a drill looked like!

mash hammer and chisel will get it done. altho the hole might need 'tidied up' a bit tho

if your gonna do it, cut the hole in a piece of wood first fix this to the wall and this will help you getting started with the hole. :LOL:

Diyisfun said:
Any hire shop will have a drill & bit to hire, but it could be cheaper to get someone to do it for you. Most plumbers will have the kit required. Its just give them a drink.
that`ll be a £40.00 drink then :rolleyes: :LOL: costs that to hire a 127mm core with the 110v clutched drill to power it better still put the hose into his car and fill it with damp :evil: he`ll do the hole then ;)

107mm diamond core, with appropriate drill. Gone in 60 seconds as they say, did one yesterday. Hire cost is about £40.

Eddie M said:
107mm diamond core, with appropriate drill. Gone in 60 seconds as they say, did one yesterday. Hire cost is about £40.

107mm diamond core, hired one yesterday for £10 + vat, and drill for another £10 + vat. Started drilling yesterday afternoon and got through the block in about 10 mins and spent another 20 mins on the brick behind it. Gave up as I had to be back at work at 3pm so I gave it another 20 mins after tea, by which time my arms were aching from the vibration.

Finished it off this morning, I hope I never have to do that again, in fact I know I won't because next time I'll get someone else to do it.

petewood said:
Eddie M said:

107mm diamond core, hired one yesterday for £10 + vat, and drill for another £10 + vat. Started drilling yesterday afternoon and got through the block in about 10 mins and spent another 20 mins on the brick behind it. Gave up as I had to be back at work at 3pm so I gave it another 20 mins after tea, by which time my arms were aching from the vibration.

Finished it off this morning, I hope I never have to do that again, in fact I know I won't because next time I'll get someone else to do it.

Well, ok, mine was thermalite blocks, so not really comparable. Hope you weren't using hammer action?

No hammer action, but I wish I'd taken a hammer to the b****y wall!

I need to drill a hole for an extractr fan in an upstairs bathroom. Can I deill from inside through the iner block and exterior brick skins? Will this casue excessive breakout damage to the external brick skin?
Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back