Advice on landing parts and fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the following area which I'd like to get some Richard burbidge parts to have a go at filling with a nice landing (on the last pic running from the right hand section wall to the stair case)

Having gone through the RB design thing it came up with me needing a complete newel post, 14 spindles, a base and a hand rail.

Looking at the below I'm thinking I'm going to need 2 newel posts - one at the wall the other at the top of the staircase ?

Would appreciate someone with a much better idea to point me in the right direction though !
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It might also be useful if you showed a pic of the bottom of the stairs?

On the landing you will need a full newel and an half newel.

Check with your BCO what they might need in the way of a handrail for the flight?

Hi - the bottom of the stairs can be seen in pic #2 - it's a straight flight.
I was hoping I could have a handrail attached to the full wall on the right hand side (as you look up the stairs) as it seems a bit silly to have spindles and a handrail going up most of the wall on the left side to join the landing.

I take it the half newel is what would be attached to the wall end and the full newel at the stairs end?

Sponsored Links
So I now have the stair parts - a complete newel, a half newel, 14x spindles, base and hand rail.

I'm unsure of where to fix the newel to the top of the staircase. Normally I'm guessing these are fixed within the staircase for support and stability but in my case there is no existing newel to fix to and only as you can see from below a thin part of the stair with which to fix. The previous banner I took off was cut to fit 'around' this piece of stair as you might be able to see from the nail holes and darker marking of where it had been.

Looking at the 2 pictures, where and how is best to fix this newel post to the staircase? behind as in picture 1, cut around as per #2 - or some other method?
IMG_3979.JPG
IMG_3980.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back