advice on plug sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I wonder if some one would be able to give me some advice on adding additional plug sockets, i am not planning on doing this my self but would like some understanding on what needs to be done before i contact an electrician and a idea on how much the work would likely cost.

i have 3 bedroom house but i only have plug sockets on the landing and in one bedroom.

On the landing i have 1 single box socket, when i opened the box it is wired with 2 black, 2 red and 2 green wires.

The bedroom has 1 double socket on one wall and a single socket on the other wall. These are both wired with only 1 black, 1 red and 1 green wire. i do not require any extra sockets in this room.

Now i do not require the single socket on the landing so would like this to be moved but i would like to add 1 double socket in each of the 2 rooms which do not currently have plug sockets.

Would this require much work? and how much would a electrician charge for this sort of thing just a ball park figure.

Sponsored Links
This is one of those "how long is a peice of string" type questions. To determine in what ways an installation can be safely expanded it's nessacery to know how it was wired in the first place.

What fuses/breakers do you currently have in your consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
Think he was joking about the green paint on the cables, not the colour of earth wires. :)

Strange setup. I'm guessing a converted TT supply.

Anyway, the whole lot is well overdue for replacement.

Can't see any main bonding either, so this would need to be installed too.

I can't see a main earth either for that matter :confused:

Strange setup. I'm guessing a converted TT supply. ... Anyway, the whole lot is well overdue for replacement. ... Can't see any main bonding either, so this would need to be installed too. ... I can't see a main earth either for that matter :confused:
Could it possibly still be TT, with the MET 'out of shot' (or using the earth bar within the CU), maybe even with main bonding connected - despite the fact that a (seemingly unused) PME earth has now been provided?

Kind Regards, John

The lack of sockets reminded me of my dad's house where he was proud that in 1952 when built they installed 5 sockets not the 2 like fitted to my grand fathers house.

There were earthing problems where some electrician had seen the earth rod for the party line phone and thought that was for the main electrics so a bare copper 2mm cables was used for earth the DNO earth unused.

Clearly the water and gas had saved the day in early years but as the street moved to plastic there was really no earth in the house.

I would expect to find some thing similar here but I know many an ELCB-v has been left in service as an isolator after moving to TN-C-S so picture does ring alarm bells but until a meter is used to test we really have no idea of how bad it really is.

It clearly states PME yet an ELCB-v is fitted. There is a RCD FCU which leads on to think some work has been done in the 1990's or latter but the Consumer Unit (CU) [fuse box] still has fuses but plastic not wooden base which points to 1980's.

I would think before any upgrade work is carried out the CU will need changing. Some work using RCD FCU is possible but likely more will be required so buying RCD FCU would only be a stop gap.

So to add one socket likely will cost £300+ but once upgraded the next sockets will cost around £25 or if not upgraded then £75 per socket with likely a maximum of 5 that can be added before forced to upgrade the CU.

Prices will vary area to area but it should give you some idea.

It may not be dangerous but electricians have to follow regulations and so can't do half a job. It could also of course be a death trap but until an electrical installation condition report (EICR) is completed it's all guess work.

Looking at the device to the left of the main fuse. I'm pretty sure that is an RCD, not an ELCB-v, of uncertain characteristics, probably on the incoming tails.

I have one like that on a shelf somewhere. An ELCB-v would have a couple of earth terminations on it and I see none.

I wonder what the RCD is for below the CU.

EDIT: Here you are.
This is a Wylex 100mA trip RCD.

Maybe that installation was a TT before it got PME'd?

If it needs upgrading then thats fine, i always thought it was a strange looking set up. The green box on the top is some type of transformer which is connected to the door bell???

There is a thin wire which runs off the pme system on the right of the photo which runs into a metal rod going into the ground by the front door so im assuming that means that it is earthed ok?

If we have a power cut i would have to reset the switch next to the pme and the white box below the fuse box.

How long would it take to upgrade the system and add the 2 new sockets? could it be done in a day? I was hoping to get it done for under £ 600.

Thank you all for the replies its much appreciated.

It definitely needs upgrading then.

As correctly identified above, you have an upgraded TT system. The earth to the system should now be coming from the PME input termination and not the old earth rod. Do not remove this as it may be the only earthing point for the whole house.

Having to reset sundry RCDs after a power outage is a big negative for your installation as it stands.

Absolutely you should get the system upgraded, it will need improvement to allow the additional sockets to be added as all sockets must now have RCD protection.

Its difficult to give prices over the internet, but you have a smallish installation and I would guess that a days work would do it well within your £600 budget.

Get quotes from three REGISTERED electricians. There is a list here: http://www.electricsaferegister.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back