Advice on repairing and painting Large Victorian front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Should I remove the door to sand it down, fill it, sand and prime and undercoat etc or can I just do in situ - I have an orbital sander.

Is this a weekend job or a week long job?!

Any tips on avoiding drips? :)

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Damson

I've tried sanding indoors and if you can help it, don't do it! It created far more dust than I ever imagined and it drifted into every room, even though the doors were closed.

If its your external door it really is best to remove it to paint it anyway because you're supposed to paint the bottom of the door to prevent damp penetration into the door. (This can make it swell and rot). Don't forget the inside on the letter box hole too.

I've been given advice to buy the best paint you can afford. At least a couple of brands do an all in one which saves time.

Also, I learnt from experience to buy proper exterior filler. (not the stuff that looks like coloured plaster). In the end I bought Ronseal wood repair, this comes in a tin and you have to mix it with a sachet before you use it. Its the best one I've used for DIY use, although quite expensive.

I hate drips! I can't seem to avoid them completely, the best advice i've received is to spread out the paint quite thinly and work as quickly as you can. Giving each small area a light brushing over with the tips of your paint bristles before you go on to the next. I found that the fine bristle brushes you can get at the DIY chains are good.

Also, if painting a thin area, unload your brush in the middle, and feather out towards the edges. Also where two areas are adjacent to each other, but will be painted in different directions, ie horizontal and vertical, feather out at the end of one area, this helps to make the 'join' less visible.

If you buy solvent based paint you need to start very early in the morning if you need to put the door back on by night fall. The drying times they give are upto 16 hours, and I've found it does take this long to completely dry. ( Theres nothing worse than ruining your paint work by closing the door when its still slightly tacky!)

Also its best to remove any door furniture, I've been lazy and left it on but its a real pain to paint round and no matter how careful I am, I seem to get it on the brass work.

One last thing, choose a fairly still day, theres nothing worse than the wind swirling bits onto your fresh paint work! If this happens though, wait for it to dry then lightly sand the 'bit' with fine sand paper. This will remove it easily. If necessary, paint in that area can be touched up.

I'd say one day for sanding and filling, and, if you use an all in one, one day for painting. If like me you're slow at painting, it might be best to paint the underside of the door separately, hang it, then paint in situ. Doing the areas first that will be in contact with the door frame etc so they have maximum drying time.

All this is from experience and trial and error, so I'm prepared to be corrected!

Hope this helps

Amanda ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back