Advice on repairing hole in plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stripping wallpaper and paint around door frame and the edge was cracked and broke. Its about 1cm wide as you can see from pic. It is a stud wall with plasterboard.

Any advice on what products to use to repair this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
decorators chalk,then gently wipe it down with a damp sponge.

Is decorators caulk ok for this? Didnt think that would work as its a gap in the stud.

Sponsored Links
I'd rather use a filler from the pound shop. And stop the door from slamming.

It's 'caulk' and it looks messy and will pull even more off.

Unibond (PVA) the wall where the crack is and bed two layers of scrim tape over the crack put another coat of unibond over it and let it all "firm up" When it is solid get some easi-fill and feather it out from the architrave a few inches then let it all go off then sand it carefully so it blends in with the wall surface being careful not to go thru to the scrim tape. And before you paint it put a line of caulk up the wall and architrave and feather it out with your finger. Jobs a good un'...

Exactly as Roy said. Instead of trying to fill up the gap, bring the surface of the wall out to meet the architrave and feather away. This really, is no different to filling gaps along the tops of skirting boards, when skimming/plastering walls etc with the skirting boards already fitted. Maybe a bit more difficult for a diyer to do, but much better than using caulk, more permanent too.

Last edited:
If you keep slamming the door nothing will sort it.

Cant say it gets slammed. Its been a study since we moved in a year ago, and will be a babys room (the door on right). I thought caulk but wasnt sure how that would look once its painted. (It will have a shiny finish?)

Unibond (PVA) the wall where the crack is and bed two layers of scrim tape over the crack put another coat of unibond over it and let it all "firm up" When it is solid get some easi-fill and feather it out from the architrave a few inches then let it all go off then sand it carefully so it blends in with the wall surface being careful not to go thru to the scrim tape. And before you paint it put a line of caulk up the wall and architrave and feather it out with your finger. Jobs a good un'...

What do you mean bed two layers? What is the tape sticking to on the right side? Its too narrow a gap to get my hand in and tape it to back of board. Do you mean tape on top? Not sure what you mean exactly. Easi-fill stuff might be the stuff I need, because of other areas I am working on, see other thread - //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/what-to-use-to-fix-this.440104/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back