advice on replacing roof rafters following historical woodworm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I purchased a 1600's house a few months back which has historical woodworm (obviously) but following 2 independent assessments, no sign of new infestation.

However - having had a *really* good look around the loft, probably 10% of the rafters have been well chewed through and I suspect need strengthened or replaced. I've taken out all insulation and will be getting treatment as belts and braces.

has anyone been through anything similar - any lessons or gotchas in terms of rafter replacement or general 'making good'.

Roof is kent tiles - so will be a bit of a chore to remove/replace (and the building is grade 2 - so appreciate depending on work I'll need consent)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
For a listed building the first person to approach with any kind of remedial or refurbishment proposals will be the local conservation/heritage officer.

OP, just saying but you've now & previously asked for advice ref:
1600's property
1800's coach house
1950's 4br det house
1950's flat

For a listed building the first person to approach with any kind of remedial or refurbishment proposals will be the local conservation/heritage officer.

OP, just saying but you've now & previously asked for advice ref:
1600's property
1800's coach house
1950's 4br det house
1950's flat

that's right - these are prior properties I've owned!.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back