Advice on RSJ's

If you've got an axe to grind, don't hi-jack someone else's post to do it.

Are you saying I've got an axe to grind :?: That was my second response on this post, both giving valid points.

i do not have an axe to grind.. you have the knowledge to look and then say.. go back to the office and prove it..

I really don't understand what you are trying to say. :confused:

as to hijacking.... i dont think anyone in there right mind could suggest any section size on a forum. hence my content..

Lot's of people often do. It's advice. We never say "It'll be fine...nah, you don't need to check, you can trust us mate ;) " I guess none of us are in our right minds.

and by the way. i spent 20 years in structural steel.

OK, good for you. What does that prove?

Sponsored Links
If you've got an axe to grind, don't hi-jack someone else's post to do it.

Are you saying I've got an axe to grind :?: That was my second response on this post, both giving valid points.

i do not have an axe to grind.. you have the knowledge to look and then say.. go back to the office and prove it..

I really don't understand what you are trying to say. :confused:

as to hijacking.... i dont think anyone in there right mind could suggest any section size on a forum. hence my content..

Lot's of people often do. It's advice. We never say "It'll be fine...nah, you don't need to check, you can trust us mate ;) " I guess none of us are in our right minds.

and by the way. i spent 20 years in structural steel.

OK, good for you. What does that prove?

1 you were the one to first mention axes...

2 you do give a section size verbally then go to the office to prove it..

3 you did suggest a size section.. 305.... but that means nothing.. there are many.. as you well know..
4 i know a lot more structurally than most on here.. would advise how to fit/ erect but never what they require....even though i smoke so could work it out on a empty fag packet..... :D

this forum is starting to sound a lot like the Screwfix one. A handfull of people always arguing amongst themselves on every single post!!

Geraint,

it's perfectly acceptable for for someone on this forum to give an indication of a required section size. The OP is aware he needs building regs approval for any steelwork installed.

It is also perfectly acceptable for a builder (or architect) to give an indication of what steelwork will be required at an initial site meeting. That way the client has some idea of what they will end up with and whether or not they would still like to proceed on their original route.

A structural engineer can also give an indication to the builder, architect, or client, before doing full calcs. Experience may mean they will be slightly more accurate.

Under any of these scenarios full calcs will be done before the steelwork is installed.

I just hope the OP got the information and advice he needed to give him a better idea of what he can or can't do, before this thread descended into farce...

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the input, i didnt realise you SE's had so much free time on your hands, perhaps you could have all come round to mine and we could have invetigated this properly amongst ourselves :) I will bring the beers and boxing gloves.

I spoke to a surveyor (friend of friend) who said i should ask building regs what they want before they can design it, i spoke to building regs at Richmond Borough council who said they will go along with the calcs by the SE...

So i am confused now. It sounds to me like the picture frame steel arrangment will be a mighty expensive option just to open up the back of the house by about 3ft! If i leave the dividing wall in i can simply rest 2 seperate steels on that and be done with it!

Does an SE need to do a site visit, and do you know any in the Twickneham area i could call for advice or quote for doing the calcs for both options?

Thanks again
Jason

Hi All,

I still havent got to the bottom of this issue..

I have annotated some drawings and uploaded a view of the rear of the house to see if this changes anyones opinion on what is required.

I have sent some Structural Enginner companies emails with all the drawings etc but they are taking a while to respond with costs for the cals let alone the actual calcs...so everything is on hold until i know what i am doing with the steels and whether its plan 1 or plan 2.

Plan 1 is a single steel to open up the whole back of the existing house to the extension

Plan 2 is leave the existing house as is, but increase the kitchen opening.

Is it most likely that plan 1 will require a picture frame?
Is it most likely that plan 2 is easier and will require only the top steel and brick pillars..

Any thoughts on the predicted outcome of the SE report would be appreciated as this may help decide the final plan.

Thanks
Jason

I have added as much as I can to answer your questions in previous posts although maybe RR or Stat will post!

However unless you have already done so I would phone up the engineers first to suss them out, make sure they do small stuff like this and find out their time-spans and get a rough cost over the phone. That way you'll not be wasting yours and their time and you should end up with some useful quotes. Most engineers I know are up to their eyeballs atm and their fees vary from reasonable to the astronomical as do their time-spans!

I have added as much as I can to answer your questions in previous posts although maybe RR or Stat will post!
Was avoiding this post cos it went well off the rails somewhere along the line..

Anyways..

As FMT says you are by far better off phoning the local SE's and checking if they do this kinda work, how set they are for workload at the moment and if they can slot you in at short notice.. (when things get busy smaller jobs get sidelined for weeks/months).. and they should be able to quote a rough cost for site visit/building regs calcs/construction sketches..

As far as your two schemes go, well pick one and go from there.. if you want the SE to quote for 2x the design work then keep both options.. anything is possible structurally just the more complex the higher the cost to build..

Chances are for a 5.6m wide opening youll be needing on hella a steel something requiring a crane to get on site.. this will also need new foundations at each end with new rebuild piers or columns.. Either reduce the opening to around 4m max provide a column to break the span up a little.. be wary of possible party wall issues with the steel on the boundary with neighbour and factor the costs in..

However unless you have already done so I would phone up the engineers first to suss them out, make sure they do small stuff like this and find out their time-spans and get a rough cost over the phone. That way you'll not be wasting yours and their time and you should end up with some useful quotes. Most engineers I know are up to their eyeballs atm and their fees vary from reasonable to the astronomical as do their time-spans!
:D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back