Advice on RSJ's

Sponsored Links
OK ask an SE how they come up with typical beam sizes at the drop of a hat then?

Only someone very naive (or stupid) would take something derived from a rule of thumb on a Forum literally.

because they know what they are talking about... have done their degrees etc... most cases they can look and do the calcs on the back of a fag packet. simple for them.. might look easy to you.... but

Sponsored Links
I was only gone a few minutes... :confused:

Geraint,

if Freddy was called out by a client to look at a job, and was asked what size steel would be required, he would use the rule of thumb of span / 20 to give a ball park section size. Then he would say that he would need to get a full set of calcs done by a structural engineer.

If I went to site, I would initially tell the client or architect exactly what I just told the OP. I would also say that I would have to do calcs to prove what I am saying is correct.

The OP does appear to be aware that he requires the services of a structural engineer...he's just built an extension and will have had BC out on numerous occasions. I really don't think it's likely he's going to go to the nearest steel fabricator and say "Some bloke on a DIY website told me this is what size steel I need".

He came here for advice, and I think he got some good advice off both Freddy and me. Neither of us said at any point that our advice would be good enough for building control.

If you've got an axe to grind due to previous posts, don't hi-jack someone else's post to do it.

If you've got an axe to grind, don't hi-jack someone else's post to do it.

i do not have an axe to grind.. you have the knowledge to look and then say.. go back to the office and prove it..

as to hijacking.... i dont think anyone in there right mind could suggest any section size on a forum. hence my content..

and by the way. i spent 20 years in structural steel.

You've still got your selective hearing I see geraint! :rolleyes:

BTW I've been drawing up Building Regs drawings for 22 years if you really wanna get anal about things?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back