Advice on steam showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of having a steam shower installed in the loft bathroom - can anyone please give me some advice on these things from experience or as installers.

I have never used a domestic one before although I have seen a working demo model at a showroom but don't know much about them. The one in the showroom was a Hans Grohe and cost quite a bit. I was surprised to see how many types and makes there were when I browsed the internet - most of them quite reasonably priced, around £1500-£2000 for a 1200 x 900mm model, and nowhere near the price of the Hans Grohe.

Are there things to look for and what to avoid - maybe some makes are more prone to faulty components, poor build quality, no spares, hard to service etc. Hans Grohe are a reputable name hence the price, but it wasn't particulary different in appearance or functions from the others I've seen on the internet.

Sponsored Links
I am thinking of having a steam shower installed in the loft bathroom - can anyone please give me some advice on these things from experience or as installers.
Don't do it.

The one in the showroom was a Hans Grohe and cost quite a bit.
That's because it will assemble more easily, will go wrong less often, and will have spares available.

I was surprised to see how many types and makes there were when I browsed the internet - most of them quite reasonably priced, around £1500-£2000 for a 1200 x 900mm model
The purchase cost is very much not the same as the total cost of ownership.

Are there things to look for and what to avoid
Avoid buying one.

If you buy one, avoid installing it.

If you install it, avoid using it.

If you use it, don't be surprised at what happens next.

Softus, I admire your no holds barred candour, although your outright dismissal of steam showers has dampened my anticipation as I was looking forward to it. Is the main problem the availability of spare parts? I suppose the thing that may malfunction would be the steam generating part as the shower and water jets would be fed directly from the plumbing system - a lot of these come with radio, telephone etc. functions which I'm not too bothered about. I have a megaflow installed which I’m very happy with (the mains had been upgraded) so no problems with pressure.

With steam showers, there seem to be two kinds of arrangements, one is the fully integrated one, which I think is the type you have commented on, the other is to have a normal shower area, ie tiled all round with a sliding door on one side, and a steam generator added on, sited outside the bathroom. There would be a cold feed going out to the generator and a steam inlet/diffuser coming into the shower unit. A company called Helo makes these generators. Of course, the shower would have to be built with good seals all round – but this is more involved and a lot more costly.

The one I had in mind is a fully glass enclosed quadrant with the controls and shower on a column in the corner. The steam is produced from a 3Kw unit built into the unit. It’s manufactured in the far east, but the distributors based in Surrey who only sell steam showers have assured me that they do keep a supply of the main spares in their warehouse.

Sponsored Links
OK lxbn, you've kinda passed a test that I wasn't aware of having set, so I'll moderate my outright dismissal. ;)

My comments were based on having fitting several of the integrated type. And despite my attempting to put people off, they insist on asking me fit them.

It seems that you're asking your suppliers the right questions, so all I have to say is that you won't be disappointed with the Grohe product - their components fit together properly, and it's one of the few companies who really put a lot of thought into maintenance.

Thanks Softus, so it's not all bad. Although I didn't have the Grohe in mind - sadly I don't have that kind of £££s burning a hole in my pocket! Were the ones you've installed all Grohe or were there others and what kind of problems have you had with them (guessing from your first post that there were some!)?

My concern with a steam shower is with the steam itself - should there be an escape of steam it could be quite damaging to walls and structure. So containing the steam within the enclosure would be an important factor. I could see that the Grohe had very little steam escape (the salesman was candid enough to admit that there might be some escape but not much) but I don't know how well the other products are in this respect. I haven't seen any reviews etc. about these things. My loft builders have installed one or two but are not very au fait with them either.

Were the ones you've installed all Grohe or were there others
None of them were Grohe. All were some unknown imported brand, with the supplier being the only port of call for spares.

what kind of problems have you had with them
. Bits missing.
. Bits from a different model.
. Tray not stuck properly to supporting frame.
. Nigh-impossible installation sequence involving a flexible waste pipe.
. Instructions missing.
. Instructions very poor translation from something oriental.
. Pre-assembled water unions not properly tightened (instructions did not specify the need to check, but I'm careful like that).
. Poor quality - too many hose clips for my liking.

I'm not saying that all faults apply to all products - this is just a selection from memory.

My concern with a steam shower is with the steam itself - should there be an escape of steam it could be quite damaging to walls and structure.
I think that's paranoia. For one thing, no "steam" ever enters the cubicle - it's merely very humid air.

So containing the steam within the enclosure would be an important factor.
Very much not. All the cubicles I've seen incorporate an extractor fan, but of course you need an extractor to get the humid air out of the bathroom.

Like any bathroom, the walls need to be resistant to damage from condensation.

I could see that the Grohe had very little steam escape (the salesman was candid enough to admit that there might be some escape but not much)
I seem to remember that the extractor doesn't operate until you've finished 'steaming' yourself.

My loft builders have installed one or two but are not very au fait with them either.
What is the room that you're putting this in? :confused:

It's to be installed in the bathroom in the new loft. The bathroom will have a built-in extractor in the roof.

This manufacturer seems to recognise there is a problem with attaching the waste pipe to the unit, so has specified a particular coupling, a standard McAlpine compression fitting, that should be available from most plumbers merchants.

I mention damage from steam, as I have read about it from somewhere. One of the advantages mentioned by the manufacturer is that the walls around the unit do not have to be tiled, so I guess that it will be painted with normal bathroom paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back