Advice on Steps to Public Building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I could do with some advice on a step to a public building. The steps were marble tiled and cracked due to the freezing weather and as the colour could not be matched a graphite grey tile was used instead.

I have now been told this contravenes building regs although an inspector has not been out to check. Could do with some advice if it does or doesnt. If it does is there anything i can do other than replace the existing marble.

View media item 32420 View media item 32421

Sponsored Links
It was a comment made by someone due to the colour of the marble. Basically they are saying as the colour is dark it cannot easily be seen by people with impaired vision.

I understand a few people have mentioned when it is dark they cannot see the step clearly. We can look into providing more lighting but that would be pointless if the marble needs to be replaced anyway.

Sponsored Links
Building regs will not apply to this work unless the steps are part of a new building

However the steps would seem to be a significant H&S risk in terms of the surface slip hazard and the edge not being clearly highlighted.

As such if ever there was a slip on them, the contractor could be deemed negligent, and/or so could the building owner/occupier under the Occupiers Liability Act 1957 - for failing to

“take such care as in all the circumstances of the case is reasonable to see that the visitor will be reasonably safe in using the premises for the purposes for which he is invited or permitted by the occupier to be there”

In any claim, the building regs will be referred to as a reference to good practice, despite not applying.

Building regs will not apply to this work unless the steps are part of a new building

However the steps would seem to be a significant H&S risk in terms of the surface slip hazard and the edge not being clearly highlighted.

As such if ever there was a slip on them, the contractor could be deemed negligent, and/or so could the building owner/occupier under the Occupiers Liability Act 1957 - for failing to

“take such care as in all the circumstances of the case is reasonable to see that the visitor will be reasonably safe in using the premises for the purposes for which he is invited or permitted by the occupier to be there”

In any claim, the building regs will be referred to as a reference to good practice, despite not applying.

Thanks for that. If you look closely the steps have two lines in them these are rubber strips which are meant to work as grippers when it is wet. I dont know how effective it is. guess the decision is about how clearly users can see it and if not then will probably end up having to change them.

The rubber strips will not be adequate. It seems that the steps are external, will be subject to rain and ice and therefore the choice of such a smooth step material is wrong.

A no-win no fee Solicitor will have a field day with these

I'd have thought the dark colour against the lighter risers would make the steps very distinguishable to someone with impaired vision. Wouldn't make the slightest difference to a totally blind person, although his Labrador might notice them. ;) ;) ;)

The works may constitute a material alteration under the building regs and the steps should be no less compliant with Part M than previously.

I personally would say that a black step on grey steps is not acceptable, others will no doubt disagree, but the colouring is not consistent throughout the stair.

An inspector won't be out to call unless it's been noticed or reported.

The Equality Act 2010 applies for civil action in respect of access issues I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back