Advice on upgrading consumer board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Wylex Consumer board and would like to upgrade to 17th edition, by adding RCD to protect lighting circuit. PLease advise on how to carry out upgrade please. Photo attached in 'my album' assuming I have uploaded photo correctly

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Carl,

Theres lots of advice that could be given, but it could be quite random or confusing depending on what you know already.

Can you post a pic showing the area surrounding the board? Do you have space for a seperate RCD unit?

Hi,

I have a Wylex Consumer board and would like to upgrade to 17th edition, by adding RCD to protect lighting circuit. PLease advise on how to carry out upgrade please. Photo attached in 'my album' assuming I have uploaded photo correctly

Thanks
As already said, replace the MCB with an RCBO.

Alternatively, if what you propose to do is to protect an existing lighting circuit move the B6 MCB over to the RCD protected side and move the RCD one place to the right provided there is enough space on that split buzz bar.
You will also need to move the neutral and cpc to their new terminal positions.
If there isn't any space on the buzz bar then you would need to move the MCB and RCD and replace the buzz bars with ones that are the appropriate size.

Question would be whether your are confident and competent enought to carry out such work.
Also as you would be changing the characteristics of the circuit you would need to notify your LABC - although some may disagree with that view.

Sponsored Links
I have added photo of space around board and picture of front of board. There are 2 x blanking plates, one on lighting side and one on socket side.

I have added photo of space around board and picture of front of board. There are 2 x blanking plates, one on lighting side and one on socket side.
You don't need to got to the expense of adding a new board to the current set up.
I have and others have told you what your options are.

Like already mention you could change the MCBs on the non RCD protected side with RCBOs for each circuit assuming that all the 6A MCBs are for lighting this is going to cost about £120 for four RCBOs.
But the 16A could also be changed to RCBO again at around £30 inc vat.
But if I was going to do that I would think about reconfiguration of your circuit arrangements and sharing the socket circuits up between RCD to RCBO

Thanks for all the advice, would it not be cheaper to just replace the whole board for a 17th edition one?, than change the individual breakers?

Thanks for all the advice, would it not be cheaper to just replace the whole board for a 17th edition one?, than change the individual breakers?

Depends what you mean by cheaper?
You could indeed buy a new board for less money than the total cost of RCBOs but then you will have to remove existing and install new one, then inspect, test, certificate all circuits. Time is money!

There is nothing the matter with your current board.

New board installation could be anything from £100 to £250 to ££££ depending on the state of your current wiring.
As already stated a new RCBO for wylex is around £30.

I have had a new extension, and there is a bathroom, hence having to upgrade bathroom/lighting circuit to 17th edition. Could I leave all the other MCBs and just upgrade the new bathroom/lighting circuit to a RCBO? or would I have to get them all changed?

I have applied to the building control to carry out all wiring and will get a PIR report done after installation completed.

Thanks for advice so far

You could fit RCBOs on the unprotected side of the consumer unit on all circuits which are new or being modified.

I have had a new extension, and there is a bathroom, hence having to upgrade bathroom/lighting circuit to 17th edition. Could I leave all the other MCBs and just upgrade the new bathroom/lighting circuit to a RCBO?
Yes that advice has already been given to you at least twice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back