Does this need an upgrade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your advice please.

I have had 2 electricians in to give me a quote for a 32 amp switch in the kitchen and a replacement consumer unit (current fuse box uses wire, and looks a mess).

Both have said that they will need to upgrade the meter board (by adding a sub main cable) first, as it is currently underpowered, and wouldn't even power the oven! The house is a 2 bed terraced, built in around 1900. The main cable running into the house is covered in black fabric (to date the electrics).

I have uploaded some photos showing the layout. They were particularly unimpressed with the earth wire. One even said one of the fuses was for next door.

Is the supply ok as is? Should I get them to upgrade it. Or is this something that the electricity board should replace?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The incomming supply appears to be in reasonable condition, and of a reasonable capacity.

I would want the earth from the sheath of the incomming cable replacing as it looks quite corroded. (this is a job for your DNO, not an electrician)

The second fuse (to the left of your cutout) will most likely supply next door. This is not an unusual arrangement.

The think which does concern me and I suspect the cable that both your electricians have told you needs upgrading is the cable leaving the right hand two terminals of your meter.

I assume that this currently supplies your CU. It is woefully undersized, and it looks to me that the insulation has already started to melt off the cable.

This needs replacing as soon as possible, regardless of wether you have any other work carried out.

I would want the earth from the sheath of the incomming cable replacing as it looks quite corroded.
Unsurprising, given its apparent location...

It is woefully undersized, and it looks to me that the insulation has already started to melt off the cable.
Shameful, really, that a meter can be changed and this situation left...

Sponsored Links
I was looking with some curiousity actually at the shiny new digital meter and the utter fire hazard leaving it - our tails seem to date about the same time as the meter, despite the cu being a little vintage.

Is that meter outside?!

If so then it seems something very dodgy has gone on, none of that kit is designed for use outside and the corrosion on the earthing stuff is obvious. I suspect someone has tried to move the cutout/meter themselves and done a terrible job of it. I don't know why the hell whoever replaced the meter didn't pick up on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back