Advice on wall fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to attach really heavy vertical radiators to the wall and was wondering if someone could post a link of what would be the best fixings to use.

The wall currently has a couple of inches of old plaster on top of double brick wall. The bricks probably date to circa 1920.

Previously screw and raw plugs were used by the plumber but the radiator fell off the wall, so need something more sturdy as I don't want it to fall off again, as it nearly hit my wife on the head.

I was thinking that maybe I should chisel away the plaster and insert a piece of wood (not sure best way to attach this, advice would be appreciated) and then plaster over it. Is this a good idea as it gives a better fixing than old plaster? What fixings would I then use to attach heavy radiator to wood?

Thanks for any helps you can offer. If you could provide links to products that would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
"Really heavy vertical radiator" may well offer the option of support feet - check with internet/supplier etc. If wall is brick then suitable expanding anchor fixings into brick (not the plaster) should hold up anything on the domestic front. What fixings were recommended by the radiator manufacturer.
Something like these perhaps http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-nylon-expansion-plugs-x-70mm-pieces/29068

Hi,

I don't recall any fixing being recommended by the radiator company I'm afraid.

With regards to what to use, there are 2 options as far as I can tell [but not sure what fixing I need to buy]:

1. a fixing that goes through 2-3 inches of plaster and then about 4-6 inches into the brick.

2. chisel the plaster away in the area radiator will be attached and insert a piece of hardwood where the plaster was. Attach the wood to the brick (not sure what is best fixing) and then plaster over the wood. Attach rad
iator to wood that is attached to brick, again not sure what fixing to use.

Here is a picture of what I mean:

30w7fdc.png

Rather than going for long fixings, I think I'd go for your second plan......chisel the old plaster away, then fix a timber batten to the wall using 8mm rawlplugs and screws.
Once you have the batten secure, your radiators are fixed to this. Coach screws could be a possibility here.
How heavy is heavy? If the rads are really huge, they should have their own feet.
John :)

Sponsored Links
The only problem I foresee with your laudable plan would be down to possible expansion or contraction of the timber itself. It will get wet from the plaster and the radiator will obviously dry it out as well as its own natural drying out.

One possible solution might be to use your timber battens and then plasterboard over these before skimming. At least you won't be adding any extra moisture into the situation :)

I'd be inclined to fix the timber, and then clad the timber with a plasterboard offcut - and then skim over.

Brilliant, I will plasterboard over the wood before skimming and proceed as advised.

Really appreciate all the help folks. Now I just need to read up on disconnecting radiators before I start.

Thanks again.

2 to 3" of plaster replaced by batten plus plasterboard may not give much for the radiator bracket fixings to grip onto. 1.5" if the plaster is only 2" That should be enough providing you use superior quality hardwood for the batten. Remember that the batten fixing to the wall must be at least as strong as the radiator to batten fixings

Thanks for the tip as I would have not thought of that and would have been a major pain if I had split the wood.

I tend to use plywood for this.....laminating up to the required thickness as required. Less chance of splitting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back