Advice Please. Turning Shower room into a utility room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room downstairs that had a shower toilet and sink I would like to turn it into a combined shower and utility room by adding a Washing machine and tumble dryer :idea:
I got the idea from a guest house I recently stayed in, however some postings here advise that this is not allowed can someone give me a professional opinion :oops:

Kind Regards

Will

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Will

Is the room big enough to sub divide?

Could you have the tower of washing machine and tumble drier inside the current door area and then add another door in to the WC / Shower room.

A bit like having a corridor with the Washer dryer in.

Electrics and wet rooms have a high amount of issues- Technical, Building Control and Part P regulation.

If you sub divide the space, you avoid these issues.

Plumbing and waste will be easy due to water proximity.

Thank you for the suggestion, the Wifey had set her heart on a nice worktop on one side of the room with a sink and Washer Dryer underneath behind doors and the Shower cubicle on the opposite side of the room I can feel a cloud about to descend on our happy household :(

Thanks for the quick response

Regards

Will

:idea: Just a thought if the shower is fully enclosed in a glass cubicle is that no classed as sub divided?

Again Regards

Will

Sponsored Links
There are rules for a room that is not a bathroom, but contains a bath or shower. This arrangement is uncommon domestically but is used in hospitals, nursing homes and rooms for the disabled.

All sockets must be on an RCD, and there must be none (1) where they might get splashed (2) within a distance of the bath or shower (I think it is 2 metres which would rule out most small utility rooms). There is a newsletter somehere. I bet one of the youngsters who's in study will know it ;)

Some laundry appliances are suitable for use in bathrooms, it is quite common in some countries.

I think I will just go ahead in a sensible safe manner and as per your mail John ensure that the RCD are under the worktop away from any source of water and as they will be closed of behind doors they should be safe.

It will not be a wet room and the shower will be rarely used.

Thanks very much for the sound advice.

One last question as there is only a Shower in the room at the Mo there are no sockets Can I use the Shower circuits to supply a dual socket for the Washer and Dryer, if I use a changeover switch so they cannot be used at the same time it would be safe but not sure about the regulations

Regards

Will :)

i can't see anything wrong with such a setup and i highly doubt there is a reg against it.

i would fit a MCB (a DP one in a modular box would be a nice soloution) after the changeover switch to protect the sockets though. Its not good practice to have 13A sockets on a circuit above 32A and also getting the cable sizes suitable for high rated circuits into sockets will be a PITA.

Many thanks for the sound advice I now intend to carry out the work as you suggest.

Regards

Will

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back