advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm shortly to move into my first home, a 1 bedroom flat that consists of kitchen/bathroom/bedroom/living room. I do plan to do a fair bit of work on it as follows:-

Bathroom - fit a new suite, re-tile and/or paint, new laminate floor. Additionally, there is a large wooden storage cupboard at one end (basically the width of the room) which I'd like to knock down, and then install a shower cubicle and power shower (there is no electric shower at the moment).

Kitchen - new floor/cabinets/cupboards/shelves/needs painting or tiling

Rest of the house - new carpets and paint or wallpaper the walls.

My question is working on the assumption I do the work myself, which parts do I need to notify to my local authority building control? I suspect the bathroom will need notifying, but I don't know about the kitchen as I'm not doing anything electrical, and the only plumbing would be replacing the kitchen sink. How much would notification for the above be likely to cost?

Thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
I can't see anything on your list that would not be interpreted as maintenance.

F00k b.c. fill ya boots.

Get the shower cable signed off though. :rolleyes: :LOL:

The electric shower & any lights in there & the kitchen are notifiable under DIY & you will need a certificate of compliance. TBH, DIY electrics in a special location are really not worth the hassle, you won’t save much & could end up with problems from your LABC which you shouldn’t get; but that's another story. Get a Part P spark in to do it & give you paperwork when he leaves & you won't have to notify at all!

To avoid problems, be careful how you connect the shower waste though ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back