Advice pls: Painting freshly rendered exterior walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My parent's house was freshly rendered last July (July 2011). The weather changed before it would be given a lick of paint. I suspect I might have to do it, as I have a few other outgoings that have priority.

Can you give me an idea of how to set about painting this Ground floor and first floor house, please? There is no damage, the walls are flat. The pipe work can be navigated around.

They want a brilliant white or old English white, by the sounds of it.

I understand that the entire wall surface needs brushing to remove loose grains. There is no algal blooming that I can see.

There is a point where water is hitting the wall from the gutter, this will be dealt with. BUT, can I simply paint over this or wait until the summer heat (!!) dries this damp spot of render.

What is considered the BEST paint to use? I can brush or roller.

Thank You (AGAIN)

Sponsored Links
Get the gutter sorted straight away as at this time of year the render will dry quite quickly due to the wind. You don't want to be painting large walls in hot weather, as the paint can dry too quickly causing patchiness.
When dry you can brush off loose dust, as you said, and then start painting. As the render is new, you can just apply a watered down first coat of masonry paint to seal the surface, (follow guidelines on tin) then one or two topcoats.
Some good quality masonry paints are Sandtex Trade, Leyland Truguard and MacPherson Marbletex (they can all be mixed to virtually any colour you like) and Dulux Weathershield Trade. There are many more out there which do a good job as well. Pliolite Resin based paints are good and shed rainwater the best. They are showerproof in 30 minutes, but can be more difficult to apply if you are not used to them.
For smooth walls I would recommend a roller but the choice is yours. Starting at the top work downwards, having first cut in around the window reveals. If you need to stop, try and finish somewhere inconspicuous like behind a pipe or at a cable, so that when you start again there won't be an obvious paint joint.

Thank You! I will have a look at the Sandtex stuff, there is a trade centre in my area.

Regards
U

Sponsored Links
If you are painting new render in white it will need a minimum of three coats to look good and solid. Always found this to be the case with white going on new render, but funnily enough any other colour will go in two coats no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back