Advice re: French doors please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just afer a quick bit of advice. Am looking to get some French doors installed in place of an existing window.

Got someone in to measure up & quote for this. All ok so far, until the final measurements are taken

Dude says we *must* have a fan light because the doors would be too tall. His words were “the maximum height for doors in PVC is 2150”

Gotta be honest, I’m smelling BS here because I can’t fibd anything to corroborate this and I’ve personally stood alongside a set that were about 12ft (albeit this was in Italy so don’t know if different regs apply)

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there a max allowable height for PVC doors in the UK?

Thanks y’all

Safers

Sponsored Links
Nonsense!

I'm looking to get some made myself soon. Haven't decided on the height yet 'cause the extension's not been built, but they'll be over 2150.

Sponsored Links
yeah having spoken to the dude at length, turns out that's exactly what it is, the manufacturer they use can do a max of 2150.

took a bit of probing to get this out of him tho!!

I know jack about uPVC but I know that when I used stainless steel for my kitchen splash backs the longest lengths my local suppliers could bend was 2.4m. Doubtless I could have shopped around (further afield) but the price would have probably been prohibitive. An 8*4' sheet of 25mm MDF works out to £25, want it 2ft longer, it becomes £80- going off spec is expensive.

I know jack about uPVC but I know that when I used stainless steel for my kitchen splash backs the longest lengths my local suppliers could bend was 2.4m. Doubtless I could have shopped around (further afield) but the price would have probably been prohibitive. An 8*4' sheet of 25mm MDF works out to £25, want it 2ft longer, it becomes £80- going off spec is expensive.
yeah, very true about going off spec, altho i'd have liked the option tbh!

funny enough i've also gone for my own steel splashbacks. the pre-made ones which looked little more than some tin-foil stretched over a wooden frame just didn't seem like they were much good, so a custom sized sheets screwed directly to the wall was a much easier, more robust and better looking alternative :)

Back