Advice re replacing grid dimmer switch please

Sorry - Problem!

Now I've unscrewed the metal case (because I couldn't get the switch out) I can see that the switch was never going to simply pop out. It's way too big to come forward. See pics. The fan switch next to it is so much smaller.

I can now see it's a 500w dimmer.
I am happy swapping like for like when it's simply a case of connecting wires but not if I've got to start pulling stuff to bits. The box is only 2.5in by 2.5in

What do I do now. Call the electrician back??
How long are these dimmers guaranteed anyway? It's not even 3 years old.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Amelia

Sponsored Links
Hi amelia
I think someone mentioned earlier they are bigger than the standard and you un nut the front and remove from the back

As for quarantee check there instructions or website however youd need to prove it was correctly installed

I would at least consult your electrician as he may not want to know after you have tampered

Also the lamps and dimmer must be compatible if not then quarentees void and the installer of the lamps, not neccesarily the fittings or dimmer is liable

Sponsored Links
Amelia you still havent said what lamps you are dimming, although you mention Low voltage the fittings you have are usually a 12 volt bathroom fitting.

If 12 volt You really need need to check the transformer types and dimmer are compatible.

If not your new dimmer also wont be and if it was installed wrong originally then your electrician has basically messed up slightly

We apreciate what fittings you have from your original post

However the dimmer controls the lamps so therefore must be compatible.
either with the lamp or the transformers controlling the lamps

This will affect the type of dimmer you need to get to replace the faulty dimmer if you choose a different make

You will be fine with either a replacement richmond dimmer or a MK one for 3 of those lights.

Did you manage to remove the old dimmer? There is a shiny round nut with two notches in located in the recess where the dimmer knob goes.

The dimmer comes with a tool for doing this up, but if it's missing, you should be ble to undo it with a medium sized slotted screwdriver inserted into one of the notches.

If it is was working before then the simplest way forward is a like for like swop. I'm wondering if your lights are LED?

Amelia is it a big secret what lamps you are using, where not gonna come round and steal them :)

Amelia is it a big secret what lamps you are using, where not gonna come round and steal them :)
It doesn't seem to be much of a secret - hasn't she told us, twice? :)

Kind Regards, John

where :?:
edit
Ok :oops: never realised the MAINS version had different part number
However i would still be looking to match transformer/ dimmer, as Amelia keeps the instructions maybe they kept the transformer leaflet

can you tell amelias female by her fingers then :)

It doesn't seem to be much of a secret - hasn't she told us, twice? :)
where :?:
Well, she's told us twice that the fittings are (GX5.3) and that they are 'Low Voltage' (presumably per (wo)man-in-the-street language), and also told us that they are not LED. I suppose that might leave a little uncertainty, but not a lot.
can you tell amelias female by her fingers then :)
I agree that nothing's impossible, but don't you think that Amelia would be a pretty unusual name for a man? :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back