Grid dimmer reliability prob, looking for alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Normally, how reliable are Richmond grid dimmers? I've got a couple and the one that gets used the most is starting to go all weird on me after being installed for just over 12 months. It's 2 way so push on/off. The symptoms are as if there's a bad connection somewhere inside the dimmer - the brightness no longer rises and falls smoothly with the rotation of the knob. It flashes bright and dim and you have to wiggle it sometimes.

It's a 500W dimmer mounted on a 3 slot grid using a 2 gang 47mm deep backbox. It has 300W of lights connected to it. Most of the time, the other 2 circuits are off (in fact, they're rarely used) so I can't imagine it's been caused by overheating (the size of the backbox is up to spec according to the leaflet that came with the dimmer).

I've got some MK dimmers in another room which have a much nicer feel to them so I thought about getting a couple of these instead. However, the highest value MK grid dimmer that I've found that will fit inside the box is 220W - their 400W ones seem to be double width and therefore won't fit into the available space (2 gang box has two grid dimmers and a grid switch).

Are there any other makes worth considering? I'm feeling a little reluctant to just go out and buy another Richmond, unless I've just been incredibly unlucky. All the same, the Richmonds don't have a very nice feel to them anyway.

Sponsored Links
I had this problem at home.

After trying a few different things, I ended up using GET smart wireless.

It's not cheap, but it is really nice gear.

Hi,

Just done a quick google search. That does indeed look like nice kit, though a bit gimmickly for my wife's tastes to be honest and I'm guessing that the decision to buy this stuff is best made when you can still get at the cabling :(

Given that I'm probably limited to a direct placement of the grid dimmer unit we already have (don't really fancy pulling the ceiling down to install new stuff because the room is already plastered and nicely decorated), are there any recommendations or types to avoid?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back