Advice required - demolishing a garden wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently considering the prospect of demolishing a 2m high, half brick garden wall. The wall currently acts a divider between my back garden and a portion of my front garden that runs up the side of my end of terrace house. Its removal will create a single larger back garden which I plan on turfing to create a lawn area. Demolishing the wall shouldn't be a problem but I will be left with the footings which no doubt will cause me a headache.

Has anyone had experience of removing old footings? Is it a diy job and if so what techniques shoud be used? I'm assuming that it would be best practice to remove the entire footing - let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance for your advice and or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
If it's an old terrace it will just be brick below ground level.

Why remove the wall? You'll end up with a bland and ordinary garden .

joe

Hi Joe-90. Thanks for your post. The wall was built in the early 1970's. The garden will remain a walled garden as I will be applying for planning permission to build another wall closer to my boundary. The end result is that my back garden will be approx 3m wider.

why remove the foundation? just bury it
you say you want to build a new wall closer to property boundary, what is on the other side of the boundary (ie road etc)?

Sponsored Links
other things to keep in mind

your only generaly allowed 1m high walls in the front garden and simmilar hight can apply on side walls ajoining busy roads

best check with your local council planning office

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back