Advice running cables for bathroom mirror & shaving socket

Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
200
Reaction score
12
Location
Hertfordshire
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently refitting my bathroom and my electrician is happy for me to run the cables and he will check the final connections when he upgrades our consumer unit at a later date (so the lighting circuit is RCD protected).

I want to run cable(s) for an led mirror and shaving socket. I have cut a hole in the ceiling to give me access to the connection box where everything is connected and I can access a permanent live from here.

What is the best way to run the cables? Can I just run one cable to the mirror and then loop out of that for the socket? Or do I need run a separate cable for each back to the connection box? Is 1mm T&E sufficient?

Thank you
 
What about neutral and earth, and what size is the supply?
Well neutral and earth is there as well.

Forget I said connection block, it's just a ceiling rose I'm refering too, it just wasn't in the traditional ceiling rose terminal, it was a load of screw down chocblock connectors that were stuffed into a box (which I am tidying up into Wago's as I go).

I'm essentially wanting to know if I'm ok to take a feed from a ceiling rose to an led mirror and then daisy chain to a shaving socket using 1mm T&E.
 
What is the best way to run the cables? Can I just run one cable to the mirror and then loop out of that for the socket? Or do I need run a separate cable for each back to the connection box? Is 1mm T&E sufficient?
There are many choices, but two lengths of 3core& earth from the ceiling connection to the mirror and socket location would cover almost any requirement.
Brown - permanent line
Grey - neutral
Black - switched line (switched with the room lights)
bare - cpc / earth.

That way you can have the mirror / socket powered permanently for those which have their own switch built in, or have them switched with the other lights for those that do not.
 
As @flameport says, you can power a shaver socket and/or mirror from the lights. And from the lights 1 mm sq is good enough.

Following the rules step one with DIY route with a bathroom is inform the LABC and pay the fee, allow for around £200 it varies county to county, but it is likely cheaper not to DIY.

You can clearly break the law, and not tell the LABC, but we must at least tell you under part P building regulations to DIY can work out expensive.
 
What do you mean?
Your sparky will get the CU and new circuits signed off including the shaver circuit. Nobody is going to enforce or even treat this as a material breach of the regs in the meantime.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top