Advice sought on seized flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - new post.
My old property is rented and was a new build in 2004.
It has a Glowworm Micron 70FF boiler and over the years I've had British Gas out 2 or 3 times to repair it.
The boiler was serviced after the last tenant moved out in Oct 16 and has only been fired up a couple of times since for testing.
Recently ahead of a new tenant moving in this week, I tested it again and found it wouldn't fire up with the two LEDs flashing.
I re-signed to British Gas for a £99 repair plus service contract and the engineer called today.
The engineer took the boiler apart and found there to be a lot of soot inside the boiler (coincidentally that was also the case when serviced last October).
It has a rear flue which he advised is telescopic but had seized and hadn't been installed correctly.
He said the part (I assume the flue) is no longer available and that the boiler would need to be replaced.
On reflection, and having done some searching, I'd be surprised if the part isn't available but wanted to seek some expert views if you could kindly comment as I need to make a decision on getting a second opinion from an engineer or just go ahead ahead and swallow the cost of a new boiler ahead of the new tenants moving in?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
A quick google of that boiler and flue brings up lots of places to buy spares. I would get a second opinion

all you've told is to help
1 ,you tried starting the boiler but didn't work
2, 2 flashing lights
3, and if flue available which surely you could find out

not a lot to go on ;)

are flashes slow or fast on both LEDS ?

flue is still available ;)

Thanks and as I best recall, the leds were flashing fast.

Yes, I think I see the rear flue listed and in stock at dhsspares and plumbarena so the part no longer being available isn't true.

So I wonder what to do now?

I recall when the boiler was repaired some years ago, the tenant had said that British Gas had replaced so many parts, it was like a new boiler.

I'm thinking did the engineer not reconnect the rear flue properly and since it has become seized.

I did ask the BG engineer if it could be lubricated to free it.

On the basis that the rear flue can be replaced, why would I go to the expense of replacing the rear boiler?

I guess I get back onto BG and question the advice given?

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest you try somewhere other than BG - they are notorious for clawing back their service contract costs and their engineers are pressured to sell new boiler installs, as well as slating work done by anyone else. :mad:

Siezed flue?

What about it is siezed and how does that affect its operation.

I am think of another part that might be seized. But I'm pretty sure that part is van stock. Or was when I sub contracted to them.

So what I understand is that the flue has a telescopic mechanism so that one part of the flue extends out and locks onto the fan. I understand the outer sleeve has corroded/ bonded to the inner sleeve and he couldn't free it. I did ask about lubricating if with WD40 but he couldn't do that.

Does that make sense?

As far as I recall the flue is extended when installing and, although perhaps not supplied, a conscientious engineer would put some tape to seal the joint and hold it in position.

I can see no need to do any further telescoping after the initial installation.

Sooting is an indication of incorrect combustion and should have been investigated at the October 2016 service.

So he needs to get the fan out but can't?

Tony probably not best to advise people to make a repair to a flue with some tape :eek:

I have not advised anyone to make any repair to a flue. Only commented on what some installers might do.

Nor would I advise anyone not registered to do so.

Tony

Suggesting an engineer would simply use some tape could encourage a diyer (like yourself) to believe that is a safe and appropriate repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back