"At Risk" Boiler!?

I get the impression that BG just want me to buy a new boiler from them. I am always getting letters saying the spares are no longer available etc. The engineer was also very pushy trying to sell us other goods.

I do wonder if BG engineers get commission for sales following visits?

I have a very low opinion of BG as a company - although some of their engineers are very good. The price difference for a like-for-like boiler replacement by BG and a local independent is quite often staggering. (4.5k for a supply and fit combi from BG, 1.8k from an independent for one job I priced a couple of years ago. Made me spill me tea.)

Sponsored Links
I do wonder if BG engineers get commission for sales following visits?
I have a very low opinion of BG as a company

They are in the business of selling boiler installations after all. I don't like them any more than you but with their buying prices/margins I'd be pushy too. The reason I don't have to give my customers the hard sell for a boiler change is because I make next to f***all on them.

of course they are there to push boiler sales and other products ,they are trained to sell sell anyone who thinks any different is being naive

The best salesman is always one who you "THINK " you can trust and this being the "heating engineer" sent by british gas ,if they sent in a salesman you would be wary straight away

I totally agree with Nigel..............they will look after your world ,but more so they have to look after their share holders world !

Another most excellent service they provide with new boiler is their free 2 year "home care" most new boilers come with two year warranty as standard .you pay your monies and and take your chances

hmm, do any of the haters on this thread think the average BG engineer gives a purple toss about the shareholders? i know i don't. i do realise i am a very right wing BG engineer but the majority of them are plebs who turn up to work to get money to pay their bills. most are average at best...the same as you get in any company.....others will be good at their job and feel forced into a regime of sales nonsense. a scant few will fix things and take their chances with the increasingly outrageous demands for numbers.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the British Gas share incentive scheme is not doing all it should!

share save is great if you have the ability to use £250 a month of your wage to put into it. plenty like me don't have that ability.

£250 a month is very good!

When the part of the BBC I worked in was privatised and bought by a US company, the share purchase option was JUST £400 to buy an option to be exercised in FIVE years time.

You lost the option if you left or were sacked or made redundant!

Hardly enough incentive to stay with the company and unlikely to make you rich! In fact in the first few years they went up to three times the value and then dropped to less than the start price.

Tony

the bg version is not volatile at all but needs 5 years of payment to make it worthwhile. my last one paid me 9k IIRC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back