advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I have a 10m x 5 m extension to wire out.
there is a vaulted ceiling almost right to the peak and concrete floors throughout. Walls are standard 300 mm block insulation sandwich construction
for the lighting cables I have no issues the cabled will all go vertical chase to the wallplate and run inside the vent space in the ceiling between the insulation and the outer roof leaf then back to the original house in the small void

re the ring main
There is a double socket outlet every 2 metres or so around the perimeter. .
should I vertical chase down to the subfloor then run around looping down accross the sub floor in conduit (just in case) and up to the next one

or would it be appropriate to horizontal chase right round the room which would be easier and cheaper to do.

comments welcome and I'm aware of the 1/6th depth of chase in the walls on a horizontal chase
ta
iain

Sponsored Links
re the ring main ... There is a double socket outlet every 2 metres or so around the perimeter. ... should I vertical chase down to the subfloor then run around looping down accross the sub floor in conduit (just in case) and up to the next one ... or would it be appropriate to horizontal chase right round the room which would be easier and cheaper to do.
The latter sounds much more appropriate (and is acceptable, provided the cable remains in 'safe zones' - i.e. horizontally in-line with the sockets). How would the 'ends' of the ring of sockets be connected to the supply?

Kind Regards, John

thanks John
I was thinking that it would be best. Safe zones no probs either as its 3 outside walls.
From the consumer unit its about 6 metres of a run from the first "new socket" so I was going to run in the tails in 4 mm at both ends of the ring.
its through into the floor void in the existing bungalow so shouldnt be a problem

Cooker circuit separate of course and in 6mm due to the length of the run
many thanks

Iain

thanks John ... I was thinking that it would be best. Safe zones no probs either as its 3 outside walls.
I don't think the fact that they are outside walls makes any difference. The important point is that the cable remains horizontally within the space between top and bottom of the sockets (which obvioulsy requires that all sockets be at the same height from floor).
From the consumer unit its about 6 metres of a run from the first "new socket" so I was going to run in the tails in 4 mm at both ends of the ring. its through into the floor void in the existing bungalow so shouldnt be a problem
Don't forget that these 'feeds' to the ends of the new bit of ring have to be within 'safe zones' as well. Assuming that the rest of the circuit is in 2.5mm² cable, the same would be OK for the 'feeds' (unless it's 'buried in insulation').

You presumably know that the circuit for these new sockets will have to have RCD protection.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you're competent to be carrying out this work cosbie?

There's actually quite a lot more to wiring than you probably think.

To John W2
yeah All the sockets will be at the same heights and observing the safe zone regs.

the only exception will be the kitchen where 2 sockets will be at 1000 high to clear the worktops obviously. these will likely be spurs from the adjacent oven circuit in vertica
all will be protected RCD from a new consumer unit.
thanks for all your tips

to RF lighting . appreciate your convern as I have seen some really dodgy "add ons" I'm competent as I served my apprenticeship 30 years ago as a spark, Spent 20 of them working then the last ten as a manager, I'm just a bit rusty and find the help here invaluable

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back