Right angle in cable run - is this OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my house renovated. I came home and saw this. The right angle run is for a socket on the wall. Is this OK? I thought you could only run cables in straight horizontal or vertical lines. This looks obviously dangerous to me, but is it compliant with the regs?

(FYI, the chase down from the ceiling is for coaxial cable from an aerial).

Thanks!

David

Attachments

• safe electrics.jpg
    safe electrics.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,262
Sponsored Links
No, the only thing going on that chimney breast is a socket (cable coming up from the floor) and an aerial point (cable coming down from the ceiling).

Before I challenge the electrician - there is no way this is OK, is there?

No. Definitely not acceptable as it is.

To make it compliant with the regulations, you could fit another accessory in the hole which looks like where there used to be one, here:
upload_2016-7-26_22-41-14.png

However, if this is a spur from a ring circuit, only one socket is allowed.
If it is a radial circuit, no problem.

I presume you do not actually want one but a socket is always useful.

To show the likelihood of a buried cable (when finished) you need an accessory somewhere on the vertical run.

Sponsored Links
I did at first wonder if this was something uncovered by the renovations, or done as part of them, but I guess from post #3 that it's the latter?

If so, then...

Before I challenge the electrician
He is not an electrician.

If he tells you he is, then he is lying.

If the people doing the renovation work tell you he is, then they are lying.

I'm having my house renovated.
Tell them they won't see a penny from you unless they employ genuinely competent tradesmen.

No. Definitely not acceptable as it is.

To make it compliant with the regulations, you could fit another accessory in the hole which looks like where there used to be one, here:
View attachment 102603

However, if this is a spur from a ring circuit, only one socket is allowed.
If it is a radial circuit, no problem.

I presume you do not actually want one but a socket is always useful.

To show the likelihood of a buried cable (when finished) you need an accessory somewhere on the vertical run.

Apologies for the hijack...

..if that trunking was running T&E from below the floor up the wall vertically and into the loft space would that be OK or would it also need a socket to highlight its existence ?

Thanks

FF

That does not apply to external corners.

Its late, and my thinking cap is about worn out for tonight... but an surely an external corner is still an "an angle formed by two adjoining walls or partitions"

So in general there is nothing to stop it applying to external corners in general.... however one could, I suppose, argue here that the chimney breast does not constitute another wall, but rather a feature not too dis-similar to a butress in the wall. *shrugs*

Apologies to Adam - if I'm wrong.

I don't mean to sound disingenuous but are you sure that's correct?
Is it shown anywhere other than a NICEIC publication?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back