Advise on extension roof repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping for some advice before i spend money on what i think I need to repair our roof!

The roof in question is a late 90's built single storey extension with concrete tiles. around 5-10 years ago the main roof and extension were "refurbished" by a company - i.e. sprayed and botched! we've had a damp patch at the junction of the main house wall and extension for a while, upon investigation, found a couple of issues. Firstly, there was a hole in the flashing (helpful) - this I've patched with some flashband. the second is that some of the lead flashing just near the ridge tile looked loose - upon looking it is made of bits of lead flashing and the whole edge has been covered in flashband (quite badly it seems, as it's all lifting up!) I attempted a repair yesterday, and found the lead pieces used aren't wide enough to cover the gap between the roof tile and the wall and have a lip into the masonry - so they appear to have used flashing over the edge and sealed that into it...added to this all the ridge tiles are look as well - and it looks like there is a missing lead saddle...oh and the dry verge hasn't been installed properly so it appears to only be held on under the tiles. all in all a good job! Temporarily i've managed to reshape the pieces to go into the wall, and installed some flash band over it to cover the mess!

So my thought is to lift the ridge tiles and fit a dry ridge system instead; at the same time remove the failed dry verge and renew together with end caps this time! I'm not sure of a couple of points though - firstly, how should i go about installing a saddle if I am using a dry ridge system - over the top of the dry ridge, under it, or over the top of the ridge tile? secondly, while the lead flashing doesn't look the tidiest, most of it seems secured - would the best option be to just replace the bad part at the top, and then install some new flash banding down both sides of the roof? should I use something like Wakaflex? should i seal the ridge tile that adjoins the side wall or let the flashing do it's job?

Not bothered about doing this myself, but would appreciate some advice before i wade into it :)

I've attached some photos to give you a better idea of what i am talking about!
IMG_1631.JPG IMG_1633.JPG IMG_1634.JPG

Sponsored Links
Hmm i did wonder if the roof pitch was a little shallow. just checked now and it's about 15' at the battens, so about 12.5' on the tiles. They appear to have used the same tiles as the main house roof.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back