Advise on Flat Roof Repair Needed and Preventing Chippings Washing off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
My flat roof is felt with small chippings on top and edgings of what I assume is lead (see image atached).
The problem is that there is no restrictive edge and the chippings wash off into the gutter as they are loose laid.
My query is the best way to repair.
Is there a thickish bitumen or similar which I can paint on and add new shingle which would adhere to it and so not get washed away.
Any advise please.
Best Regards.
IMG_0471 (2).JPG

Sponsored Links
You report no leaks or water damage below the roofing - surprising considering that all the flashing at the wall abutment (and the change of pitch flashing also) appears to be wrongly fitted?

The chippings should originally have been embedded in bitumen.
Your top sheet, on my dodgy monitor, doesn't appear to be the correct material.

However, brush the chippings up as best you can & re-use, they seem to be loose laid, you can buy fresh bags at building supplier's.
Then spread a liquid bitumen over short manageable areas.
Then embed the stones into the liquid bitumen, use a short block of 2 x 4 to press them down while keep the chipping cover even. Cover all the top sheet.
Leave all the lead flashing bitumen and chipping free.

I'd get I'd get a balloon guard ( down pipe guard ) and put it in running outlet, just pick out the chips from the gutter once a year they wont do any harm. Don't see the point putting money and effort into such a trivial problem

Roof slater,
You consider doing the following is a better solution:

You suggest that a DIY'er climbs up once a year to clear the chippings, and then gains access to the flat roof to return them to the roof - every year?

Balloon guards are well known for creating blockages due to debris build-up, so that when the householder isn't going up & down to replace chippings he or she (age unspecified) is climbing to relieve possible blockages?

Sponsored Links
From photo I can see it's one storey no prob cleaning that out, and whatever chips I cleaned out would go in bin not back on roof. no job to be done here, you'll end up causing more damage than good.

It might be one storey (I cant tell) but the householder still has to climb.
The top sheet is looking well worn where its unprotected - & yet you would prefer to eventually leave the whole surface bare of chippings?

Being specific, perhaps you'll say how my advice would "cause more damage than good"?

A diyer up there taking chips off could end up bursting the felt when shovelling up the chips, doesn't look in great condition, keep the money you would spend on bitumen and more chips and put it towards getting a new roof with a good quality product in a few years

Why would he be "shovelling" off chips"? Common sense says stiff broom them up - they are loose laid after all, & most will sweep up.
We dont know the area of the roof so with a couple of bags of chips and a few litres of liquid bitumen costing, say, £25 quid I dont see any big outlay.

Hello All, thanks for the replies.
VINN: can you advise on a manufaturer name of liquid bitumen and perhaps general suppliers.
Best Regards.

If you are brushing of all the old chips, dry the roof and give it a couple of coats of solar reflective paint, discard the chippings.

Any builders supplies - cheapest available will be best.

Solar paint would do fine on a nice clear and clean surface - only some chippings and debris might be embedded by now - but its a good suggestion.
Depends as well on how the OP wants his roof to look?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back