Advise on Pension

B

Bodd

As we are on the pension trail. I have a lump of money that I could pay off my mortgage with. However I could just lump that into my private Pension. Its not massive but enough to make a difference.

I know I can get a mortgage advisor and I may well do.

Your thoughts please

Sponsored Links
My own, personal view......

You've never going to make more money on any kind of savings/investment than its going to cost you to borrow!

Pay off the mortgage.

what interest rate is your mortgage charging, and how many years remain?

what interest rate is your mortgage charging, and how many years remain?

I'll have to look John
I have one of those Australian mortgages that if your savings is bigger than the mortgage then I pay no interest. Forget its name

Sponsored Links

That's the one....

I owe £8000 odd on my mortgage then:
£22000 odd on a loan (attached to the mortgage) for work on the house.

I'm thinking of paying off the £22000 then letting the £8000 run it's term paying of about £80 odd per month.

check theres no early redemption penalties or clauses restricting what you can pay early

also credit or store cards can have very high interest rates so think off paying any outstanding credit cards or loans ipossible ff you can do it without penalty
and dont tie up all your money in long tem savings make sure you have a 6 months buffer available for living costs in case off emergency

Last edited:
check theres no early redemption penalties or clauses restricting what you can pay early

also credit or store cards can have very high interest rates so think off paying and outstanding credit cards or loans iff possible without penalty
and dont tie up all your money in long tem savings make sure you have a 6 months buffer available for living costs in case off emergency

If I keep paying the 8 grand until the end of term then there will be no early repayment charge. I have not other debt. But sometimes feel some investment might come along that I would then regret paying main chunk of mortgage off.

Last edited by a moderator:
consider your tax bracket.

For example if your taxable earnings are over £50,270 (into higher rate) it may be an advantage to pay at least enough to bring you down to standard rate. You'll recall that basic rate tax is rebated on pension contributions, and you can claim more if a higher-rate taxpayer up to certain limits.

If your earnings are over £12,570 no point in taking below that, because it's the tax-free allowance.

Mortgage interest rates are pretty low. It is generally very unwise to take out a loan, at high interest rates, to invest.

If you have at least 5, preferably 10 or more, years for your pension to grow, it's my opinion that growth over that period should be greater than your mortgage interest rate. There are ups and there are downs. For example, Brexit and Covid both caused downturns; so you had a couple of bad years, followed by a recovery.

In some cases, such as America's Great Depression, or Japan from 1990 to 2020, recovery took much longer but this is rare.

As Mottie will grudgingly admit, the European fund I bought into prior to the Brexit referendum is now up 94% between 23 June 2016 and 27 Sept 2021. This is a bit of an outlier, though. The FTSE100 is up 9% over the same period. And I still have some shares in National Grid, which are down 24%. So the best advice is to buy a low-cost tracker fund which will even out unusual events. If anybody tells you that the Fund Managers at WonderCo always beat the market, they are wrong.

Just out of interest, how many of our resident expert financial advisors can tell us the average pension investment growth over the past 20, 15, 10 & 5yrs ???

I met up with my mate last week for a game of golf. He sold his MOT station and retired. He invested £1m of the sale with Coutts just before the pandemic and it had dropped to £875k at one point. It finished the year at £1,026,000 so he took the £26k and left the original £1m for this year. From April to July he said he was up £66,000 so far. He's happy enough for now……..

Latin American Funds - could get 10% in the next few weeks!
or you could loose the lot. I'm having a few quid on it.

So you have at least 30k then put it as a deposit on a buy to let

In the last ten years:

Number of times one of my investments has had a burst pipe: nil
Number of times one of my investments has run away owing me money: nil
Number of times one of my investments has unexpectedly needed a new roof: nil
Number of times one of my investments has had dry rot: nil
Number of times one of my investments has needed intensive cleaning: nil

Sponsored Links
Back