AEG cabinets professional finish for updating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have some oak cabinets AEG. They are worn and the varnish missing in places. What can I use to give it the same finish as the factory again.
Thanks
cabinet.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can't. The factory finish would be something like a 2-pack catalysing lacquer which requires a spray booth and spray equipment to apply.

Best bet, assuming that they are solid oak, is to scrape off the finish, then sand to P120, and relacquer with something like brushing cellulose lacquers (look for someone like Morrells, a trade supplier, they have depots all over). The problem I can see with any refinishing job is that the current finish appears to be either tinted golden yellow or to have yellowed with age (?). It may be possible to match the colour by giving the oak a coat of golden pine water based stain, diluted to suit, followed by denibbing with a P320 sandpaper once it is dry, before refinishing, however with only one photo on a computer screen which shows considerable colour cast from the lighting/camera (?) it is difficult to say for certain whether this will be needed

The reason for suggesting brushing lacquers is that they can be supplied with an appropriate sheem level to match the existing (possibly in the range 60 to 70%) and being thin they also flow out well from the brush, leaving a smooth surface. Another possibility might be Sadolin, which has a slightly straw tint to it

You could use a variation of French polishing to brush or roll on layers, then wire wool or very fine sand, then another layer. You can achieve a mirror like finish this way.

Sponsored Links
You could use a variation of French polishing to brush or roll on layers, then wire wool or very fine sand, then another layer. You can achieve a mirror like finish this way.

Are you recommending French polishing? If so you should be aware that it is far from durable where there is moisture in the air or where it can get wet (ever seen a white ring left of a polished table where someone put down a wet glass?)

Are you recommending French polishing? If so you should be aware that it is far from durable where there is moisture in the air or where it can get wet (ever seen a white ring left of a polished table where someone put down a wet glass?)
No, I said a variation of French polishing, ie the principle of layers and rubbing down to get a finish similar to sprayed on lacquer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back