Aerial cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Wonder if anyone can help me. Recently moved into a new flat. Landlords are great, but a bit useless with the whole schematics.

They own our flat and the three above. Now, we haven't been able to find a tv aerial cable anywhere in our house. Our landlord has only ever said that previous tenants have had tv and that all the other flats do too.

Is there anyway of being able to find out for ourselves where this might be located? Is it guaranteed the property would have it?

Sponsored Links
You do have to be careful with the way people phrase things. "Having a TV" and having a "usable TV signal" aren't the same thing. It's entirely possible now to have a TV but only use it for streamed TV services, a bit of Netflix, some gaming and the odd DVD or Blu-ray.

A landlord isn't obliged to provide you with a working TV aerial point in the same way they are for power and water etc. Check your tenancy agreement about what's included in the let. Even then you have to watch out for the get-out clauses such as certain facilities not having been checked. This means you may find a socket but then discover it doesn't work.

If I was you I would start with your neighbours and find out if they have working TV aerial points. Then ask if that was something they had installed privately.

You could also have a look from the street at the outside walls of your flat; see if you can spot anything that looks like am aerial cable going to a likely location for a TV such as a room corner.

Within a room an aerial point could be in any of several locations: Room corner, near a window (generally hidden by curtains), and now increasingly halfway up a wall because we're in the habit of using wall brackets.

From time to time the aerial fly lead ends up buried under the edge of a carpet because maybe the house has Sky so the aerial feed is deemed redundant.

In the end it may be that you take on the responsibility of sorting an aerial and then come to an agreement with the landlord over redeeming some/all of the cost over a period of months. After all, if there really isn't an aerial feed in the flat then it's also the following tenants who will directly benefit along with the landlord.

Did we help? Then use the THANKS button. It's free and it marks good advice for other readers

Last edited:
All good points from Lucid, so I'll just add that you check the roof etc for an aerial, then see where it goes to. In an old block of flats, you'd have just had a simple splitter to feed each flat, but nowadays, you'd have an amplifier, so that would need to be powered from the comunal supply, so check if you can spot either a label in the consumer unit, or a feed that might be used for it.

If there is no aerial, and the landlords aren't being very helpful, then if you've got a freesat option on your TV, then you could have a quick chat with a local SKY installer, and see what they can do. I got quoted £75 for one, and that should be able to supply 2 flats with a quad LNB.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for both of your helpful replies. I believe the flat above have their lounge above one of the bedrooms so feel the aerial cable may be located in there if anywhere at all.

I'll go and ask the neighbours and see what their situation is. I had the same thought process too though. I believe the last tenants may have had what we currently have which is a tv we use for streaming netflix etc.

Thanks for all your advice and I'll start pestering the appropriate people!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back